Cheryl's Current Status 9-1-2017

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jerry Sullivan, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

This is an update with Cheryl's status. She is O.K. The recent 2nd landfall of hurricane Harvey increased the water level so that about 2 inches entered Cheryl's home. She removed the carpet today and tomorrow will remove wet furniture. She will be busy with lots to clean up. She said once things quiet down she will try and post some pictures.

She thanks everybody for thinking of her.

Jerry

Sjoerd, Jewell, waretrop and 6 others like this.
  2. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well, that sucks! :( I am very glad though that she's OK.

I don't know if any of you remember the flooding Nashville experienced back in 2010. So many of my friends' homes were ruined. I was lucky to escape damage to my home, but the storage unit I maintained back then flooded, and I lost many of my items from it. Most weren't a big deal, but I did mourn over the loss of the irreplaceables...kids art work from when they were little, scrapbooks, some photos. That was very sad.

Even now, when people are looking for homes to buy, or realtors are listing properties, they are quick to mention "not in the flood plain" or "not a flood house" or some such. Folks became ill from the mold generated by the water and dampness, even well after the fact, so it became even more imperative to use caution when buying a new home, or moving back into a repaired one.

FEMA was heavily involved. Insurance companies were inundated with claims. People who had no flood insurance were often destitute. Folks waited months in some cases for their home repairs because contractors and handymen, trades of all kinds were completely overwhelmed with work.

With firsthand knowledge of what devastation a flood can generate my heart goes out to Cheryl specifically, and to all the families and people affected by the flooding. I know the uphill battle it will be restoring life and property after such an event.

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Just had an e-mail from Cheryl! She had 68" of rain (and assured me that was not a typo) and as Jerry said, she is starting clean-up in her home. From her message:
    Never lost power. Got around 68 inches of rain. And no, that's not a typo! 68.
    I did get water in my house, but just a few inches. We got the flooring out yesterday. Today I start tossing out damaged furniture. I am staying at a cousins. I do have flood insurance. I'm very fortunate. Hello to everyone!

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Jerry,..thanks for the update on Cheryl,..i am delighted to find she is well but also sorry she has flooding.
    That's also great news that Cheryl will be posting again in the near future,..i do miss Cheryl.

2ofus and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

wow oh wow. I just can't even imagine that much rain. we went though the flood of '69 where I grew up. the water was up to the front porch and it was 6' off the ground. it was built on a knoll in a flood plain. I do not remember it only the stories as I was born in 69. I do remember one when I was a child that was water as far as I could see we had no way to get away from out house. we were just kids and thought it was great... but now? no way no thanks. I just feel for all those who are going through this.

Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Glad she is OK ! Glad she still has a home to work on. So many have nothing left.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@marlingardener So sorry you got flooded. Such a loss and so much hard work. I thought you were far enough away to be out of flood danger....

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh Barb, I should have hit the "quote" button--the message from Cheryl began with "Never out of power" and ended with "Hello everyone". I really must be more careful . . . .
    We had 1 1/2" of rain, cooler temperatures, and I got a lot of yard work done.

Philip Nulty and waretrop like this.
  9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

LOL, That is funny..I guess everyone else read that correctly..I should be more careful reading posts. I am always in such a hurry....Very funny, least I can laugh at myself...

Glad you are well and glad Cheryl is beginning to recover. What a mess.....

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I had to read it a couple of times to make sure, too. I am glad it isn't worse for her. what a mess.

Philip Nulty and waretrop like this.
  11. kate

kate In Flower

Keep safe Cheryl.
    K

Philip Nulty likes this.