Chianti sunflowers

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by fish_4_all, Sep 30, 2016.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

[​IMG]

Well I haven't done a lot but I have had some fun. My wife picked these out and we gave them a shot. Got a late start but on 9 stalks there are well over 100 flowers with a few about ready for harvest.

Ground was freshly tilled this year and amended with steer manure and compost. The soil I had to start with was so bad it took 3 bags of compost per 4 feet x 3 feet area but it seems to have worked. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. toni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. donm
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I like those Sunflowers,..they appeal to me more than the yellow type.

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Nice looking sunflowers :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Would you have any of those seeds left that you would want to sell, they are beautiful, thank you margie

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree with Philip that red sunflowers are real 'eye catchers' To get so many flowering heads shows that they appreciated all the hard work you did for them.

7. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I could send you some but I can't rightly charge anything more than shipping for them. I have never collected them before so I can't even guess if I did it right. I have some in the fridge and some that I just left out to see if either of them will sprout. I did a trial run on 20 seeds and only 1 sprouted after drying for about 2 weeks. Could it just have been early to test them or did I collect the flower heads to early I don't know. I am going to test them again soon to see if they sprout better after time. Hopefully I will have better results this time. Might have to put them in soil to test this time. I did a paper towel test last time. Will it make a difference, I guess I willl find out. Maybe do both this time.

I can still send some but I can't ask for anything more than shipping, anything above and beyond would be your choice. I'm not even sure I would ask for shipping cost to be honest.