Chicken n Dumplings....hillbilly style

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by fatbaldguy, Jun 26, 2011.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

All of my folks come from Eastern Kentucky. So far back in the hills, sunlight didn't hit the ground till 10 in the morning.

The following is a comfort food for those of us with an Appalachian heritage.

1 cup of flour sifted into a bowl, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 egg (2 if you like'em) and 1/2 cup milk. Mix dry ingredients and drop egg onto the top. Add milk and mix until you have a somewhat firm ball of dough in the bowl.

Turn out on a well floured surface and roll out to about 1/8 of an inch. With a sharp knife cut into strips about 4 inches long.

Drop into you favorite chicken broth one at a time ast he broth is at a slow boil. Cook until the dumplings are done through. The broth will thicken appreciably.

For my broth I use chicken thighs as they are the fattest part of the chicken. I stew these in lightly salted water until the meat falls off the bone. I then remove the skin and bones, shred the meat back into the broth and add the dumplings. Salt and pepper to taste.

cindjo717 likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I make some similar but make the dumpling dough a little thinner and spoon it into the chicken and broth. I lived on a farm until I was about 10 and chicken and noodles or dumplings was a staple in our house.
    dooley

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

FBG, I think you just solved my dumpling problem! Mine always came out a little doughy in the center--I was making small balls instead of rolling them out and cutting into strips. Chicken and non-soggy dumplings are on the menu for next week!

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

For the most part I eat what is put in front of me. The only meal that made the trashcan was about 35 years ago, the meal was chicken and dumplings. Maybe it is time to try again.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner :D

7. aalisha

aalisha New Seed

This recipe sounds really good!

I tried to cheat before and had this in can instead of cooking it from scratch (hehe), and it definitely did not do the dish justice.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ooooh, this sounds very good. I might get my other family members to try it and if not I will have a nice pot of chicken and dumplings that I don't have to share with anyone. ;)

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

I make them almost the same way,, minus the egg on occassion, I add milk to the broth and bring it to a simmer and add the dumplings with a lot of black pepper. Broth/milk thickens and makes a hearty meal !! My grandmother made it like this and it is heaven in a bowl. At least it was when she made it,, !

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Nice one!,..this is something i will certainly try,..i love dumplings,..but seldom get them.