Chickens are NOT dumb

Discussion in 'Pets' started by marlingardener, Jun 29, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Chickens are not dumb but they are terribly focused, however. When I go to the garden all the ladies line up along the outside coop and stare at me. I feel so guilty that I toss them cherry tomatoes, a few less-than-perfect beans, whatever is going. I've been trained to feed them treats each time I stick my nose outdoors--grass clippings, vegetables, spent marigolds, and their favorite--thistles!
    Chickens focus on food, and as a provider of food, I'm expected to do so multiple times a day. Someone around here has been taught to perform, and it isn't the hens!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Tooty2shoes
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. donna in nc
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Have you seen this PBS program?

Donna S likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Soooo ... what's the next trick they're going to teach you? Maybe serve their treats on silver salvers? I hope you're a quick learner Jane. :rofl:

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Chickens are the most demanding critter I ever raised. I had free range chickens and every time I went outside I was mobbed! Luckily, I only had 12.

marlingardener likes this.
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

When we lived in Texas, the neighbor had chickens. I used to feed them scraps from the table or excess garden stuff. It got so that I couldn't step out the door without all the chickens, ducks and turkeys coming running up to the fence. I sort of felt guilty when I didn't have anything. Of course, we had bird feeders in the front yard and the birds always gathered every morning and evening waiting for us to fill the feeders. Worse than children, I think..

marlingardener likes this.