Chickens - Your Patriotic Duty

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by eclecticgarden, May 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

I know there are a lot of you out there who keep chickens. Check out this advertisement that was circulated in the United States in 1917-1918. I love the catch phrase at the end, "In time of peace a profitable recreation - in time of war a patriotic duty". So, during WWI it was patriotic to own chickens. Who knew?

uncle-sam-wants-chickens.jpg

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

During WWI and WWII it was requested of all citizens to grow their own food....veggies, chickens. etc. If each family was feeding it self then the large farmers could feed the troups and the regular people would not go without.
    People were given Ration Cards for groceries, gas, clothing, tires, etc. because the majority of those items were going to the military in one form or another. If you grew your own food then your family didn't have to go without as often.

eclecticgarden and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yes, I am patriotic to the tune of 13 hens, and 12 chicks coming next week! I may raise a flag. I remember my daddy talking about his "victory garden" which each homeowner was encouraged to have. His victory garden fed our family of four, his two parents, and most of the neighborhood. I wonder where I get my tendency to overplant . . . .
    After WWII, cars came back on the market and there was a long waiting period to get a new car. I think the car daddy got in 1949 was his favorite through the years.
    Here in the States we were fortunate--I have read that in the UK rationing lasted into the 1950's.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Me, too. I have upwards of 60 or so... I sure am glad there aren't two hens per person here. oyvey that would be a houseful for sure.

eclecticgarden and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  6. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

We always raised a big garden and I still have 2 of my ration cards.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

During WW2 a neighbor sold chicken and duck eggs, as they were next door, the eggs were sold over the fence. Hmmm....I still have my ration book from that period. I was 1ft 9inches according to the info on the book. They took out the gasoline and shoe stamps. I didn't drive and walking was a big challenge. The book is in a 'memory box' along with many other items.

Jerry

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I remember my parents had ration books,.. though the only thing i remember they got was Spiced Beef,..which i hated:sulk: thankfully we had a good sized veg garden and lots of hens.