Chook Tastes Like Chicken To Me

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya fellow gardeners,

Tonight something different. Most of you who have been on here for some time know that my Bride and I have spent the majority of our lives travelling. Travelling enriches life and leaves one with memories.

While cleaning out a cabinet, we came across something we hadn’t seen for almost 30 years and I am going to show it to you below. It sums-up our long trip through Australia; or more affectionately known as, Oz.

There could be some things that you may not understand, if so, just ask me or Tetters.

The document below was thought out and written down solely by my Bride to record some experiences of our six month tour through that very special country. So much was very different from what we were used to.

When we came across it today, we had to stop and re-read it. We enjoyed it so much. There were some “oh yeah” moments throughout. We hope that you will like it too.
    B18C3A4F-3934-4E1B-923F-F3F64C50E43C.jpeg

2AB2EB3B-B7A0-4A7D-B207-59C3126D9E16.jpeg

50ACA063-468E-4CF7-840A-F459B76E38C2.jpeg

D60F1641-5A7A-4DD1-8E69-24EDFC7514F7.jpeg

863F0C32-2BAF-48AC-BEF0-F4F0FA991187.jpeg

1AA8EBBA-CED4-4583-9A40-A5E7582EB0A8.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  2. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

That's great Sjoerd! So you have ''done'' the North and West !! I didn't get as far as the Darwin area, the furthest north was the Whitsundays. We were £10 pommies and sailed to Freemantle, visited Perth, and then sailed across the Bight to NSW.
    My two sons have travelled the west though, and I recognised bits from their recollections.
    My daughter drove across the Nullabor on her own - without a spare tyre for her ute after she had an argument with her then boyfriend :eek:

PS... there is a place in Tasmania's northwest called Nowhere Else :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We've never been to Australia, although I do think we might fit in well.
    However, we did have contact with an Australian gentleman. We are in central Texas and off a main road. There was a knock at the door and a man with a distinctive Australian accent said, "I'm lost." My husband's immediate response was, "Oh, you surely are!" The gentleman explained where he was headed, and we showed him a map, explained where he should turn, and hoped he eventually ended up at his destination.
    We've also had folks from Zimbabwe stop by for help, but that's another story.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Tetters, we flew into Darwin, bought a combi and went around the coast zig-zagging inland and back. We crossed the nullabor, on over to NSW and up to Queensland and back down to Sidney where we sold our combi again. It was a great trip.

Jane, glad you liked that poem. You never know who you will meet on the door.

Growingpains and Droopy like this.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Am I allowed to confess I laughed hard and loud at that poem? It is well written and took me along on the trip. Thanks for sharing.

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Your words made her glow with pride. Thank you.
    It was meant to be humorous, so....yes, you are allowed. Ha, ha, ha.

Growingpains and Droopy like this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I thoroughly enjoyed the poem your bride wrote and the laughs it gave me. She certainly has a way with words!!

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thrilled you liked that poem. I shall tell her. She does have a way with words.

Being there was in some ways like learning a new language. But the thing that impressed me the most was the flora and fauna. There were so many things that I had never seen before. I still talk about them.

Growingpains likes this.
  9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I grew up in Perth! Visited Freemantle often, traveled the Nullabor, owned a ute! :D

Sjoerd, when I moved to the US I had a helluva time with certain US words because they mean something different to Aussie me. When someone offered me a biscuit I expected a cookie. Asking where the lift was, folks had no idea what I was talking about because it's called an elevator here. What Americans call Jello we Aussies call Jelly (so imagine my confusion when I head about Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!! I mean, how did jelly (Jello to me) stay on the bread???)

To this day I can still make my family laugh by telling them we're having chook for dinner! ;)

Tetters, Growingpains and eileen like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, language is an interesting thing.
    Your family may laugh when you say that, but I’ll bet the laughing stops when they are devouring it. ;) Knowwaddah mean, Vern.

Growingpains likes this.
  11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, thanks for sharing your adventures Down Under and another of your Bride's varied talents. Very interesting and well done.

Sjoerd likes this.