Chopping up a pumpkin and putting it in the dirt?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by whistler, Mar 16, 2012.

1. whistler

whistler Seedling

I've never had much luck with pumpkins. Either starting from the seed or buying small pumpkin plants from the garden center. It seems insects (birds?) eat them or the ones that grow get marble sized pumpkins growing and then they just drop off the plant.

I have a white pumpkin that my husband picked up in November. Given to him for free at an orchard where he was buying apples. So yup its still sitting here. No outward signs that its gone rotten but it might be inside. I don't know how long it takes a pumpkin to go bad.

I was thinking of taking that pumpkin and putting it in my vegetable garden and just chopping it up into the ground and seeing what happens. I can't have any worse luck trying to grow pumpkins!

Anyone think this might work at getting some volunteer pumpkins?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Why waste a perfectly good pumpkin? Cut it in half, dig out the seeds with the stringy stuff attached, and put that in the garden. Then enjoy the pumpkin meat!

carolyn likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

The pumpkin will be fine to eat. When I grow pumpkins anything left at the end of the year gets plowed under and yes you will have pumpkins everywhere. But depending on what other pollen the insects picked up you likely will have a cross of squash, zuchinni, or any other similar veggies that can cross polinate with them. That will show up when you plant these seeds. However they are all delicious eating no matter what they look like. I have had green pumpkins, striped and orange squash all on one plant.

5. whistler

whistler Seedling

Thanks! I'm probably not going to eat the pumpkin but I will smush it into a spot in the garden and see what happens!

Advertisement
  6. Georgene Schreiner

Georgene Schreiner New Seed

You should have some interesting pumpkins, different sizes and colors. Who knows, you may grow a new and improved pumpkin!

7. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I had a bumper crop of butternut squash last year from seeds that were in the compost. Cucumber beetles got the two vines I planted. So good luck.

8. whistler

whistler Seedling

Thanks! I'm thinking of putting some of the pumpkin into the front garden to see if they grow out there too. Should be interesting to see what happens!