City Vid

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Here is a short promo vid of our city.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh that brought back some lovely memories Sjoerd!! Thanks. :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Great video SJ! You live in a very charming city!

Questions for you:

Are those sailing vessels leisure craft? Do you have fishing vessels? What's the city's major industry (s)? Is it tourism?

I am very glad to see the lakes are clean enough to swim in.
    And...... That cheese shop looks mouthwateringly delicious!

In Western NY State, the Dutch settled some of the towns. As kids, we used to go to the ZiderZee for curlicue French fries. I was interested to see that was the original name of your River.

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh EILEEN-- I thought it might. Memories--good memories for us too.

Ta CAYU-- The sailing vessels are leisure craft these days. The skippers take out groups for a fee. Mostly younger folks, but also adults as well.

Yes the water in the city canals and in the IJsselmeer and Markermeer's are monitored to ensure water cleanliness for wildlife and people. Because of the changing world weather some dikes are going to be broadened and elevated to combat the rising water levels.

The cheese shop is a small one right in the middle of town. We sometimes buy cheese there. They sometimes have a stand out in the street during our weekly saturday market.

I know that Dutch folks settled in NY, as we have some family members that went there and the offspring are still there. One thing about the "Zuider Zee"-- You are under the impression that it is a river, but that is not so. The Zuider Zee, which means "Southern Sea"was once part of the North Sea and covered a huge amount of our country. Two massive dams have been built, making the body of water now a controllable two lakes. Meer ( as the suffix in IJsselmeer and Markermeer) means lake.

There is an outdoor museum near us called the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen.
    This museum is a collection of buildings saved from destruction around the shores of the old Zuider Zee. Taken brick for brick from their original situation and rebuilt there in the museum. It is an interesting place.

I realize that this is way too much information, but I enjoy telling about our area.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Oh I see. It is a museum! Beautiful. Amazing that all those buildings have been disassembled and then reassembled in their present location.

Makes me want to visit!

I have been wondering what you all were planning to do about the riding sea levels. Glad to hear you all have a plan.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Right Cayu--an open air museum. It is a way to preserve our past.
    If you are ever in the area, please do drop in, hopefully the dikes will hold. chuckle.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@Sjoerd I have been AWOL for quite a while, mostly occupying some of my time with family history stuff. I had my DNA recorded a few months ago and that has opened up many links to distant cousins that I was unaware of.
    Now then, your video. I think it is absolutely delightful and who would not want to visit Hoorn and the local area after seeing that. Thank you for sharing.
    Regrettably our travels are now curtailed, I shall be 85 in two weeks and I can no longer enjoy visiting cities like Hoorn. At least I have been to Amsterdam so I have some experience of beautiful Holland. :like:

Sjoerd, Cayuga Morning and Islandlife like this.
  9. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Sjoerd, I absolutely LOVED your video!!!! It made me regret that I never visited you lovely country..
    Take care, my friend, Hank.

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great to hear from you RAD--Happy birthday in advance. What an accomplishment to reach that miletone. I hope that I will make that milestone as well. I have the flu sat the moment and am feeling very sorry for myself.
    Anyhow, I am delighted to see you back on here mate. Are you still making fox vids?

Thank you so much Ahn-ree-- I am sorry too. But at least the vid gives you an idea of how things are here.
    I will take care. I am a bit under the weather at the moment.

11. Cayuga Morning

So sorry Sjoerd that you are sick. Hope it passes quickly. In the meantime, chin up kiddo.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ta mate. Don't come too close.

13. Cayuga Morning

Chuckle. I wish I could! But maybe not now. Seriously my husband & I do hope to travel again.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

My fingers are crossed for you.

15. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Get well soon Sjoerd. This isn't the best time of year to be feeling poorly. :smt009

16. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@Sjoerd Hi there mate. Thanks for your friendly greeting, Yes, 85 tomorrow and with my long medical history, that is a bit of an achievement I can assure you. :)
    We often hear it said that we are living longer these days; true that medical science is increasing longevity BUT as a child of the thirties and the austere war years. I have a theory that those who are living longer today are like myself and benefited from what was available to eat through those years.
    Just look how many veterans from WWII lived well into their nineties and even past a hundred.
    I would predict that with so much obesity, fast food, and junk food; in 20 or 30 years time the logevity will turn down the other way.
    I mentioned family tree stuff. Well my earliest relative found so far was born in 1732. There are of course hundreds since then in the wider family but not one has achieved my age so right now I am TOP of the AGE TREE. :like:
    As for foxes, we only had one cub this year which is most unusual after 5 last year. Here is a small clip of the one little chap with his dad.

I am hogging your thread Sjoerd but must ask, have you got 'FLU' or 'Man Flu'?:) And do you get free flu jabs in Holland.
    Must close before you all fall asleep, but get well soon mate. :like::like:

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.