Clematis Leaves Have A Peculiar Pattern

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Sjoerd, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

[​IMG]

I have what I now believe to be the Clematis viticella 'Mme. Julia Correvon'. It's lovely red flowers are in abundance now but almost all the leaves have a sort of irregular wine-coloured marking on them.

Can anyone tell me with certainty what causes the foliar patterns?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

2. Loading...

3. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Seedling

I dont know what is the cause behind the leaves. But the folower color is soo pretty!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sjoerd, i looked in a couple of my books, but found nothing that relates to diseases that look like this. So i am wondering if perhaps this is a nutritional deficiency such as potassium, maybe? I know that tomatoes get a purple cast to them if the are lacking potassium, just a thought. Have you fertilized them or checked the Ph of the soil. It could be bound in the soil and not released to the plant if the Ph is wrong.The nutrient may be there but not available.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, I looked at mine and there are no patterns. I think the leaf has sun damage. Is the base of the plant exposed to the sun? There may have been a period of little water and the leaves burned.

Jerry

[​IMG]
    Clematis on trellis ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Advertisement
  6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

i was thinking maybe it was a variegated type of leaf...color streaks...until i saw jerry's pics.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks JACQUELINE. I like that flower too.

CAROLYN--I couldn't find any diseases in my books either. Hmmmm.
    I am pretty scrupulous when planting Clematises, so special care was given to having the soil right before I even planted the plant. I give the Clematises a good feeding every spring and this year was no exception.
    If you would see all the flowers that the plant is putting out, you would think that the plant is getting enough K++.
    Well, I am keeping my mind open about deficiency since I do not yet have a certain answer.
    I appreciate your thoughts on this.

JERRY--Well, I have not considered sun damage as a possibility. I will look into that. As for the lower aspects of this Clematis and the rest that I have--the lower section is protected from direct sun light exposure, with plants and roofing tiles.
    Further, I have been keeping all of my Clematises watered regularly. Now Mother Nature is doing it for me.
    Thanks for your ideas.