Clematis plant stunted with leaves edged in brown

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by toni, May 13, 2012.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It grew nicely when first planted and had a some what misshapen bloom but hasn't grown an inch since then. The edges of all the leaves have turned brown. It's been exactly like this for about a month.
    Any ideas? Did a disease strike it or was it a sick plant from the beginning?
    [​IMG]
    2-3 feet tall and stopped growing ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    All the leaves look like this ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The stem is still looking healthy, I had hopes for a recovery a couple of weeks ago when the new growth started at the base of the vine but the edges of those leaves turned brown and they are stunted too.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Toni, That looks like a serious salt burn to me. Is it contained in that pot? Gently remove as much of the soil as possible and repot it if you can. most likely a build up of fertilizer salts if it doesn't get regular watering from mother nature. Rain water seems to really wash away the excess, but living where water is a precious commodity makes you more conscientious of running it through the pot I am sure, huh?

4. rph52

rph52 New Seed

I can confirm it. I added lots of epsom salt in an attempt to kill an olive stump. It was (now I know) too close to the clematis, which now suffers the same fate as yours.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Clematises like cool feet. Roots in a shady area, top leafy growth in the sun. Do you think the roots might be too hot in that pot out of the ground?

Clems are also subject to Clematis wilt, a real bummer. I do hope that is not what you have. I am going with the roots being too hot. That has an easy solution.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, wow, that original post was made in 2012, that Clematis is long gone. I had covered over the top of the soil in the pot so the roots were shaded like I have other Clematis but that one just didn't like my garden and went to the great compost bin in the sky long time ago.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Chuckle...I missed that posting date!