Clematis question.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Mar 25, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

My clematis, type 3, is staring to grow and the fight begins. I don't know if all clematis grows toward the east but mine seems to want to climb in that direction only. That means that half of my fan trellis is very full and the other is really sparse. It's the same way with my arbor. They are in full sun with no shade to the west. I'm just curious if this is standard or not.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. AAnightowl
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. wacomac
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have never noticed that problem but I do try to plant close so I get more blooms and a fuller trellis. I will keep an eye on it. My one problem is finding an ideal spot for it, I had one but we put a cement slab in and then planted a tree next to it so my ideal spot where it grew great is gone now. I had moved it last spring and they did not do well at all. It had morning sun ...I am hoping this year it will flourish..:flower:

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

As your Clamatis is a type C and the placement of the existing vines is on the East side of your trellis then in my oponion you are starting out with a handicap. Type C flowers bloom on the last two to three feet of new growth. If the existing vines are all on the east side then you either have to move the previous years growth(plants are brittle) or prune and re-train the plant to establish a more uniform growth pattern especially on the West side.

Jerry

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015