Clumping bamboo

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Primsong, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

With the weather just beginning to warm, we're thinking ahead to the "big planting" for this year, which in our case is a plan to put in about four fargesia robusta clumping bamboo along part of our back fence. They are non-invasive and cold hardy - both very nice things.

This should (hopefully) give us a bit of screening from the rvs and campers parked there. It's supposed to get about 12 ft. tall, though we only have partial sun so I don't know what we'll actually get out of them. We're 'buying years' by getting the 10-gal. ones instead of the little tiny ones.

Have any of you planted any type of clumping bamboo? If so, how has it grown and are you content with it?

2. Loading...

3. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Hope your not talking of the Bamboo like here in Penna......
    My heavens it is so invasive, they are unable to kill the stuff. My nephew has it ........
    No spray will touch it.
    They used it along railroad tracks to contain the dust.....It sure worked.

Fast growing shrubs or trees work......I have christmas trees on my lane to stop the winter storms and it works wonders and no one can see thru them.

Lombard popular I think is a fast growing tree.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have a nice stand of bamboo in the flower garden, but I do not know which one it is. It does not spread, but just for safety, we dug a small "trench" around it. The runners poke through the walls of the trench and get chopped-off during the course of the season as they appear.
    In this way we can manage it perfectly.

We had just let it go for several years and when the clump was large enough, the trench was dug....expansion ended.

5. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

This stuff was already on the yard of my nephews and my brother did every thing he could think of to rid it.......

However your choice.

b

Advertisement
  6. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

This isn't a running variety - I wouldn't put *that* in my yard for all the tea in China!

Clumping bamboos grow in a circular clump, the circle of the clump just grows a little bigger each year, maxing out at 5-8 feet across (I would be lucky to get 5 ft. in my zone/sun, and it would take it about 10 years to get there)

There are a handful of varieties of them, this is one of the hardier ones as I need it to be able to "winter" okay.

7. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Cheerios.......... :-D

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Thanks bsewnsew! We got the call that they'll be delivered sometime end of April or beginning of May. I'll post some pics when we get them in. Lots of dirt-prep to do before then.

I admit I was rather dreaming over some of the 'timber' bamboos, because they could become 40 ft. high so quickly and we have a 2-story subdivision that came right up to our fence on one side of the yard. None of them are hardy enough for my zone (sigh) - probably just as well, as I don't think they are clumping.