Cold fingers, but big smile!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Jan 6, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I just pulled about 10 lbs. of turnips, a small basket of green onions, and cut some fresh dill. The turnips and onions are going to the food pantry as soon as my fingers thaw. It's in the mid-30's out there and I haven't learned to harvest wearing gloves! The dill goes on salmon filets for dinner tonight and if there is any left, I'll do some dilled potatoes for tomorrow.
    The food pantry only has canned and frozen food at this time of year, and fresh produce is so very welcomed. The clients are grateful, but the biggest smile is mine! :-D

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I guess a lot of people like turnips and onions, but not being one of those people, my first thought was why are you pushing those off on them? ;) But I have heard that turnips can be a replacement for potatoes in a lot of recipes so they will be most welcome this winter.

My maternal grandfather loved onion sandwiches, buttered bread and thick slices of white onion....gives me the shivers. Mom said you couldn't stand to be in the same room with him afterwards.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I would gladly take the onions and the dill but I would also pass on the turnips. A friend gave us 4 huge Salmon steaks from his Alaskan fishing trip. Fresh dill would taste so good on them.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd take the turnips any day as I make lentil soup with them. We seem to have quite a bit in common Jane as I haven't learned to use gloves when harvesting either. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I find gloves such a bother....until I am indoors & my hands won't come clean!

I have grown to like turnips, but had to outgrow an early prejudice: in my family growing up, turnips were placed in the toes of our Christmas stockings instead of coal. We all got them, promptly said "ew!" and threw them in the compost. What a waste, huh? I think I am the only one of my siblings who will eat them now.

But, MG, congrats on your harvest. I am impressed you can harvest food in the dead of winter & were doing it in 30 degree weather!

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Mmmmm... I would welcome turnips, onions and dill from my garden at this time of the year, or any time for that matter!

8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Jane, What a great haul. I'm with Netty in welcoming turnips, dill and onions any time.

9. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Awww come on turnips aren't so bad but this is coming from someone who loves veggies even okra.

marlingardener likes this.
  10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Pretty much if it grows,, I like it. Turnips and rutabagas are some of my favorites. Small tender turnips are good julienned in salad. I am told they are fantastic fried like potatoes. I am going to try the fried turnips this year.

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'd never thought of frying them like potatoes--I'll try that soon. I'm with you Mart--if I can grow it, I'll eat it!
    We like them quartered, drizzled with some extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and roasted. That goes so well with a pork roast!

Donna S likes this.
  12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Out of curiosity I looked up the health benefits of turnips. Not only are they healthy but also low in calories though someone that has thyroid problems should limit the amount they eat. I've never tried them but I'm going to now. Any ideas on how to cook them??

13. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ive had mashed turnips mixed with a bit of mashed carrot. Pretty tasty actually haha

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

2ofUs, turnips are cooked pretty much like potatoes. Peeling and quartering turnips, then putting in a shallow baking dish and sprinkling with extra-virgin olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper, then baking at 350 for about 30 minutes (this depends on the size of the turnips) gives you a great side dish for meats. You can also fry them like Mart suggested, or julienne them and have them raw on a lettuce salad.
    We like to slice them very thin and put them on sandwiches. Some folks cook and mash them, like potatoes, or roast them with carrots.
    About the only thing you should not do is boil them for hours until they are brown mush and smell up the house, as my grandmother did!

15. mart

mart Strong Ash

I like them boiled till just fork tender,,not mush. A teaspoon of sugar and salt & pepper to taste added to the boiling liquid. When done to your taste, finish with butter.