combining decorating styles

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by valerie827, Nov 28, 2006.

1. valerie827

valerie827 New Seed

OK, so my boyfriend and I were recently discussing decorating styles and how we want to decorate our house after we get married. I forsee a lot of problems decorating because we both have very different styles. He likes contemporary stuff...black furniture, platform beds, etc. I, on the other hand, like antique-y looking stuff...iron pieces, old stained glass windows on the wall, and such. Is there a way to combine these two styles in a room? We've looked at a few bedroom suites and random furniture pieces and have found very very few that we both like. Things that I love, he thinks are ugly, and vice-versa. Would it look dumb to have all comtemporary stuff in one room and antique-y stuff in the next? I'm not sure of the best way to do something like that. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

The way we dealt with it was my husband may decorate "his space" (in this case his computer den and the garage) any way he wants and *I can't comment on it* (good thing). In return I get the rest of the house, because I'm the woman and its my nest, lol... He's okay with my decoration of the bedroom as long as it isn't too frilly, flowery and pink.

And no, an entire house doesn't have to match (would be rather boring, I would think) - a different color or style in each room can be fun.

Maybe some Art Deco would be a happy medium for the two of you, if you need transitional pieces - they are angular and spare, yet also antiquey and interesting.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor