Community gardens

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Netty, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I know that allotments are very common in Europe, but I didn't think there were any around here, maybe because I live in a (mostly) rural farm community. Yesterday, I found something on the local garden tour that I didn't know existed in our community ... a community garden!
    [​IMG]
    A welcoming place where people "come together to grow herbs, vegetables, fruit, flowers and friendship". The garden has plots for individuals and families, and large plots gardened by the Community Food Bank, as well as a plot for the local public school
    [​IMG]
    I spoke with a fellow there that has 4 plots and has been involved with the garden since it started about 6 years ago. I admired his plot and especially his 'Indigo Rose' tomatoes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made me wonder how many other local people don't know this exists!
    Does your town have a community garden?

Sjoerd, Frank, Philip Nulty and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We had one but it didn't last but a season. It was "sponsored" by the Salvation Army and geared towards helping to fill the need of the gap of available fresh vegetables for those "in need", only no one would even go pick a tomato let alone help pull the weeds. There was no water available from a hose which didn't help, either. It was a hard Summer( as is every other one for the last decade) and no one seemed to feel the need to eat, I guess.

Netty and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There are several in the north Texas area, most are on the back lot of local churches. Not run by them, they are just making the unused land available, I think each one has a few people (probably local garden club members) who are in charge of setting work schedules for the members who do the growing. weeding, watering, picking and getting produce to local food banks.
    I had thought about joining one but they require each member to put in a certain number of hours each week and during the summer there is no way I can be out there working like they require.

5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

We have one community garden that I drive by here that is situated between the highway and another fairly busy side street. Location-wise it works for easy access for people and there are lots of garden plots in there. This year I've noticed lots of people growing perennials and roses. Don't know if there is a requirement on the type of plants you can grow but nobody seems to be growing too many veggies.

I think the idea of community gardens is a good one. Am not sure how many people actually take advantage of it though.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We have allot of them near me. There is one that has grown to gigantic. You can have your own spot or let them care for it and then you can share everyone's harvests. You have to become a member. They are all organic, have chickens for eggs, have events foe kids during holidays and next month they are having a special lobster and clam dinner right at the farm. Hey have built a little house for these events. It is wonderful. They also donate to the homeless throughout their growing season. It all stays in our county... I love them but don't do anything with them. I just don't have the time to give to them. I would love to in the future.

7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Not a sign of one where i live Netty,..nor an allotment,..which surprises me,..even though its a farming area folks who live in town who don't have gardens would like an allotment,..they are very big on allotments in England,..oh those 'Indigo Rose' tomatoes look good,..i never came across one before.

Netty likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

A few years ago a friend and I started patio gardens at the local Housing Authority. Containers of tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and many of the residents participated. As a matter of fact, so many participated that after two years, they didn't need us any longer!
    There is an in-ground community garden next to the Senior Citizen Center, but it doesn't seem to be thriving. Perhaps there needs to be stronger leadership.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jane, maybe they need younger leadership and some younger gardeners to pick up the slack when the seniors just can't get out there.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I didn't make my post very clear--the garden is on the Senior Citizen Center grounds, but the garden is for the entire community. At last report, there were two young families with plots, and two or three ladies "ganged up" and had a plot. The Seniors aren't interested, or are unable.
    That's why our vegetable gardens here on the farm are community gardens in a sense. My husband swears I'm trying to plant enough and harvest enough to feed the entire community!

waretrop likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was great seeing this thread, Netty.
    It is a concept that, in principal, could occur anywhere--down-town to rural.
    It is good to hear that you folks have one, and I like their focus on local Food Bank, for it is a special interest for me.

marlingardener likes this.