Companion Planting/Garden Boo-boo ?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by AAnightowl, May 20, 2014.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have been reading a little bit about 'companion planting', and which plants get along together and which ones do not. I am certainly not an expert on the subject. I overlooked the table that says cucumbers and melons do not get along together, and I accidently planted watermelons in the same bed as my cucumbers. Will it hurt them? I have watermelons in another bed, so I could use my rake and rake the melon seeds away from my cucumbers. I only have 1 row of cucumbers. They are all still seeds, as I planted the cukes yesterday, and the watermelons today.

The bed is large, and since I only had 1 row of cukes, and had room for other things, I did not think anything of planting some of my melons in the same bed as the cukes.

I have been trying to decide where to put my parsley, and some bell pepper seeds, and some sunflowers. I have 2 empty beds, and part of the one onion and cucumber bed. I also have some blue butterfly peas in next to the onions and cukes.

This is more complicated than keeping my two male dogs apart for now. I just had the youngest one neutered, but he is still rather growly. [I also have 3 females, all spayed and neutered now.] Hopefully, he quits that soon.

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think unless you are planning on saving the seeds, don't worry.

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I dont have to save the seeds.

5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I think its mainly a no-no because the same insects and diseases can attack both species, so you'd have to be extra vigilant.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bip's thought is an excellent point. Not one I would have thought of, but you can always plant a bunch of herbs or marigolds in with the melons and cukes to confuse the insects and draw in beneficial insects.

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have marigold seed that I am going to plant in with my tomatoes this week, and I can add some of that to the cuke/melon patch too... and elsewhere as far as it will go. I have gobs of zinnia seeds from last year, maybe some of those would help too? They look pretty in the veggie garden.