Composite Decking

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Pianolady, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Has anyone used composite decking? My husband really wanted to use it for our deck, but after further research I've decided it's a really bad idea due to mold issues. I've read horror story after horror story about the mold online, so I wondered if anyone has actually used it and been happy.

2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

PL: We have 2 composite decks and love them. Sooty mold does grow on one of them, but I bleach it every 3rd year or so and that takes care of it for 3 years. That is our side deck that does not get full sun. The back deck hasn't had that problem as yet (but then it has only been up for 1 year). We used to have wood decks, and had to renew the stain every year. Alot of work: bleach it first, then rinse then let it dry then stain. The only down side to the composite deck for me is that it is slightly hotter to bare feet than wood. But....the wood decks used to give us splinters....

[​IMG]
    Side deck, less than 1/2 sun ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    more decking ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Side deck ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Back deck, hasn't needed bleaching yet. ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

Frank and Henry Johnson like this.
  3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I would love to re-do ours in the composite material! My co-worker had problems with her trex deck splitting but they made good on it! Looks as good as new now. I love the idea of never staining again... :-o

4. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Thanks Cayuga Morning for the pics, your deck looks very nice. I'm not sure what we'll be doing, have some thinking to do.

Advertisement
  5. Stevia

Stevia New Seed

Thanks for the pics Caguya. I was thinking of getting a composite deck myself but was worried about the molding issues. But looking at the pictures you posted, I cannot wait to have it. And thanks for the advice, little fixtures in every 3 years can indeed put molding issues at bay.

6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Couple of my customer have them.And both VERY slick in winter.One has 18 steps-that are covered. It's to an apartment.Landlord replaced in steps. When I fell through 5 step from bottom. Taking her trash out. After he had them was told no ice melt on them.

7. jmarc

jmarc New Seed

I completed re-did my deck with composite decking about 2 years ago. The best advice I can give is to pay attention to your joist spacing. Composite decking boards will sag if they're spaced too far apart, especially in hot weather. As long as you keep them 16" and below, you should be OK. It's very easy to work with, but can be heavy because it's dense. I bought my decking at a builders auction for a fraction of the price. It certainly needs less maintenance than wood and looks nicer!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from jmarc's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank likes this.
  8. margerydaniel

margerydaniel New Seed

Composite decking should require little maintenance, but care should be taking with materials that could stain the decking, such as oil, rust, or wine stains. This decking can not be refinished, or sanded down, which means if you get a stain you must replace the entire plank to restore the look of your deck.

Henry Johnson likes this.