Computer Running Slow On Occasion

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by bobtheblindguy, Feb 1, 2010.

1. bobtheblindguy

bobtheblindguy New Seed

Hi
    I hope I can get some help to what to do about my computor running slow. It started just recently where sometimes when I click on something there is a delay. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to be a concerned. It also on occassion runs very slow. I noticed my cpu was at 100 % without any programs running. This doesn't happen all the time either. I called my computor tech support and right away without checking anything he wanted to sell me more hard drive. I don't think more hard drive is the problem since this happens on occassion. Any Thoughts as to what the problem could be.

2. Loading...

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

hi Bob,

It is indeed very difficult to tell what is wrong with your computer without knowing what is the scenario is like. Normally a computer starts to act strangely but was normal before is usually due to corruption of O/S, software or infected with virus, spyware and malware. Sometimes overheating can also cause problem like what you mentioned.

When you mentioned the CPU was at 100%, was this indication from the Task Manager window?

If you can provide more details of your hardware and O/S, I might be able to do diagnosis I hope. :)

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Bob, right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager. Then click the Processes tab and sort by CPU. When you notice your CPU running at 100% view Task Manager and take a note of the image/process name that is at the top of the list. That will be your culprit.

5. bobtheblindguy

bobtheblindguy New Seed

Hi guys
    Thanks for the feedback. I did use the task manager. Has not run at a 100% yet to check but do not know how to sort by cpu. My O/P is windows XP. As far as the hardware if this is not the correct info let me know.

Pentium 4CPU 2.80GHz
    2.79GHz, 1.8GB of RAM

Advertisement
  6. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Very often if you do a disk clean up, it will speed up your PC..

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

To sort by CPU just click the CPU column header under the Process tab. Click it until it shows a little down arrow - this will show you processes in order of highest CPU usage.

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hi Bob,

Your hardware and O/S is well matched. The problem you had could be ..... err I really do not know :oops: sorry! If you had not clean the inside of your computer for a long time then I would strongly recommend that you get it done because the amount of dust in there could choke the computer and cause irrational behaviour. The cooling fan efficiency would also be greatly reduced. Hope this info is helpful. :)