Container Pond Area - DONE (for now)

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cherylad, Jun 18, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Here's the little corner of my garden area that is designated for my "water stuff". In the blue barrel, there are Lemon Mist and Reflective Flame water lilies. The tall plant is a Cattail. The bucket-looking stand next to it houses another water lily... it's yellow, but not the same as the Lemon Mist, it's leaves are mottled. And on the shelf, there is all sorts of water related trinkets. And can't forget the shrimp boat bird house Hubby built for me.

[​IMG]
    water corner_before ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

After bugging everyone here for days with questions, I decided upon a bigger tank for the lilies. I went with a 103 gallon galvanized stock tank. (By the time I made up my mind... it was on sale and I saved $10!)
    So, the stuff in the barrel moved into the stock tank.

[​IMG]
    moved into stock tank ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Here's my prettiest Comet Goldfish "Fatso" enjoying the extra room.

[​IMG]
    Fatso the Comet Goldfish ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

The Lemon Mists was trying to bloom in it's old "house" but with the extra space it seemed to show it's appreciation with two beautiful blooms.

[​IMG]
    Lemon Mists blooms ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And even the other yellow Water Lily thanked me for upgrading it to the "barrel".

[​IMG]
    yellow water lily ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I've put it's "old" container aside for a later project... stay tuned!
    ;)

So here's how the corner looked after switching things around a bit.

[​IMG]
    water corner newly arranged ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

The plants were evidently loving their new homes... but I wasn't satisfied with the area. It just didn't seem "completed" to me.
    I sat and sat looking at it trying to decide on how to finish it. Then, the other day, while looking for something out by our "good junk pile", I spotted my solution. Another "light bulb moment"! :D
    Hubby had brought home a bunch of old broken up scalloped concrete edging from one of his jobs.
    A co-worker recently moved and had lots of cardboard boxes to get rid of. I volunteered to take them.
    I placed them over the now-scorched grassy area and covered with shredded cedar mulch (my fav). Next, I arranged the old edging and then filled in with more mulch.
    In this photo you can see the Reflective Flame blooming. I moved the Cattail to the barrel and placed a Butterfly Ginger Lily into the new tank.

[​IMG]
    Water Corner - getting close ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I cut away the excess cardboard and then sprayed the area with water so the mulch would get in-between the cracks.
    Moved a few trinkets around... and here it is.

[​IMG]
    Water Corner - done ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And a wider view.

[​IMG]
    Water Corner_done2 ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Frank, Droopy and marlingardener like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, My GOODNESS, what a gorgeous water corner. The change from the first photo to the last is amazing. The Lilies are beautiful, I have to get some of those, you ordered those on line didn't you?
    In just a few months with that new yard, you have it looking great.
    A closeup photo of the shrimp boat birdhouse would be nice, it looks fantastic from here.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

You did an awesome job. It looks great.

5. cherylad

Thanks Toni! It's been so much fun planning and planting on a blank slate.
    Yes... I got the water lilies online. Hope it's okay to post their web addy here... TexasWaterLilies.com
    Very nice folks and great customer service.
    And as far as the shrimp boat bird house... here's the link to the original posting. You must have missed it while out shopping for neat junque! :-D
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about21664.html

[edited to add this message]
    Thanks to you too Carolyn!

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I certainly did miss that post but sadly I was helping my daughter clean up after her hubby left and not out junque shopping :rolleyes: Bad week all around.

That bird house is fantastic, he did a great job with all the detail and naming it after you...aaaaahhhhh, that's sweet ;)

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW, WOW and double WOW!! :eek: I love that stock tank!! You've done a great job with your water corner Cheryl. Your waterlilies are beautiful - mine haven't even produced buds yet as it's been dreadful weather here. Did I say that I wanted to adopt you as my new sister? Just think of all the wonderful fun we could have re-doing my whole back garden. ;)

8. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

The concrete/stone really does give it that finished look, looks great!

9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A lovely spot to look at each day to see what's happening. Great corner!! I'll bet the fish are real happy about their new tank.

Jerry

10. cherylad

Jerry... I just had to go and get a few more fish... with all that space, there will be lots of mosquito larvae to eat! Ol' Fatso sure did seem happy to be able to spread his fins out a bit. :-D

Thanks Bip! Nothing like topping off a project that cost practically nothing. And it didn't take much time at all.

Eileen... consider me adopted! Just think... a place where you don't have to water plants every day? Not to mention all the beautiful scenery! Wait... did I read "dreadful winter"? Can I be a fair-weather sister? :D You come here for mild winters... and I go there for dreadful summers? ;)

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You're on Cheryl - sounds ideal to me!! :D

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I was so excited when I saw this post, I couldn't wait to open it! You just never know what you're going to do next Cheryl, but it's always great. I love that stock tank too!!! And the concrete gives a great finishing touch. I was just in a garden center yesterday drooling over the water plants... I was thinking about making a large pot just for a few plants (famous last words, right?), but in my area, they can't stay outside in the winter, according to the garden center people. Oooh, Cheryl, I really like that water spot so much!

13. cherylad

Thanks so much Daisy!
    You know... you don't have to have a HUGE container. That second water lily was doing okay in a small container that would be easy to bring indoors during winter. Hint hint!
    ;)

14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Aaaah, your water corner is a sight for sore eyes. I commend you on your knack for re-using items and finding what works best for you. I could do with a little of that ability. :D Your lilies are lovely. Neither wonder your fish is happy with his new home.

15. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

BEAUTIFUL

That's all I can say is its beautiful

16. cherylad

Droopy... that knack for using/re-using stuff is called.... "being cheap"! :D
    I do enjoy making use of scrap items laying around... goodness knows, we have plenty of it since my dad kept a bit of everything!

Thank you Ed for nice compliment.