Container veggies - favorite varieties to grow in pots

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by gardengater, Jul 11, 2008.

1. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

A vegetable poll - your favorite varieties to grow in pots. Anyone try potatoes?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have seen garden magazine articles of people growing potatoes in black trash bags...I guess that qualifies as container gardening.

When I get my backyard converted next year I just might have to try that to have room for everything I want to grow. ;)

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

If somebody has done this, I'd love to hear about what goes well and what doesn't. I know you can grow potatoes and tomatoes in buckets, but I've never tried it.

5. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I love growing tomatoes in pots and herbs..my mother in law in England is growing potatoes in pots. She has harvested once this summer already.

Advertisement
  6. trudy

trudy In Flower

I've grown tomatoes in buckets an they did well. Had to water more often an they got really root bound. Right now I have Peppers in some 5 gal. buckets an they are doing really good.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I do not grow things in containers, but if I did...I'd grow carrots.
    I could have them nice and long and straight with no forking...it'd be great.
    I get some of the most misformed carrots sometimes...this year I tried a shorter carrot and there is less deformity, although I did get one that looks very rediculous though.

Oh! I just remembered--I did grow toms in a bag on my balcony a couple of years with great success.

8. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Wow! veggies in bags! Who'd have thought? I think I'll try that potato thing next season. I'd like to see that ridiculous carrot too.

Gardengater

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Just had a flash back memory to a gardening tip I saw on TV a long time ago about growing Strawberries in small bags of potting soil. Poke a few holes on one side of the bag for drainage, turn the bag over, poke a few more holes to let the water in but not many, then make an X cut and put the seedling in.

I guess if the bag is large enough you could stagger the X slits and put at least 4 plants in it.

10. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I grow tomatoes in huge 20 litre buckets. They are doing really good. I also have my chili peppers in 5 litre buckets and they too are doing great.

About the carrots,, something i tried my first winter here, and worked really good too, was using 1 litre milk cartons, or for the states that would be the quarts of milk size, and planted carrots in those. It was just an experiment but it worked great. I grew them all over the place, where ever we had a light, there was about 20 sitting around it.

11. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Thanks for all the great ideas. As I have limited growing space, I need to improvise a lot. These will help a lot. Thanks "stew".

Gardengater

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

chuckle... well Gardengater...I don't know if Frank would allow that foto of my carrot on here. :oops:
    It's pretty racey.

13. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

I grow decorative peppers in pots.

Peruvian Purple
    [​IMG]

Bolivian Rainbow
    [​IMG]

14. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Good golly PepperDude - those chillies look great. Are they purely decorative or do you also eat them?
    (why I am asking is that my little maltese poodle has a penchant for eating my peppers whether they are the hot chilli pepper varitey or even the sweet bell peppers.)

15. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

Thanks Palm Tree, yes you can eat them but as a warning they are hottt!! This is my first year with these 2 varieties and they have came on like gang busters so next year i'm gonna plant a few of each and try to make pickled peppers. And if your interested let me know i can send you a few seeds to try.

16. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

They are just pretty to look at! Good going.

Gardengater