Convert wood deck to Tuscan style gravel patio

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by paulbasel, Aug 2, 2012.

1. paulbasel

paulbasel New Seed

Hello Everyone

I am a new member of this forum and hope you can provide me with some design inspiration.

Six years ago after our home remodel project was completed I had a professional garden contractor design and construct our garden. As is typical, at least in my case, some of the features you thought you wanted wound up either not working as expected or are not being utilized the way you thought they would.

The deck we had made for our "side" yard is beginning to show signs of rot and is very slick in the wintertime. We tend to use the terrace more and find that we just don't utilize the deck at all.

If you go to my garden at http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/alb ... r_id=16649 you will see the pictures I have uploaded. This should give you an idea of how the garden looks today.

What I want to do is to tear out the wooden deck, retain the water feature (pond), take the olive tree out of its planter and plant it somewhere in this area where the deck was, and then fill the area with gravel, I don't know what kind as yet. Your take and advice on the different types and sizes of gravel, granite chips, etc. are welcome. However, just doing that would make it a very plain and boring area but I don't have the design ability to visualize how it should look. That's where I need your help.

A couple of things you should know about this area. The deck itself measures approx. 6.80 meters (22' 4") long and 4.20 meters (13' 9") wide. The distance from the end of the deck to the garage wall is another 2.20 (7' 3") meters. The right side facing the garage has bamboo that is about 12 feet high and not much will grow in the shady area in front of it. The area under the wooden deck is compacted crushed stone and stone dust. So the base for any other type of hardscape that I might want to put on top of it is already done with the exception of landscaping paper. One final requirement (from my wife); absolutely no flagstone anywhere in this area, thank you very much!

I think that is enough explanation to hopefully get some of your design juices flowing. So, I welcome your suggestions, design sketches or whatever advice you want to give me. I want to start the project in the early Spring of next year.

Paul

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I don't know enough to offer any advice, just wanted to mention that I think you have a lovely area there... and that I absolutely love the pond (very clever and unique) and extension on the house. I'm sure some of the others will be along soon to offer advice. I'm just going to sit back and watch what is surely to be a great transformation.

Frank likes this.
  4. paulbasel

paulbasel New Seed

Thanks very much for your comments. I too am waiting for what I hope will be an interesting discussion.

Paul

5. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Oh, ouch! I fell down some stairs made from that tile in the Bahamas! It's not slippery? oooh, I can still remember the pain and the enormous amount of rum required to heal me! (many years ago when I was young)

I find your pond and deck stunning, reminds me of a Cape Cod or Nantucket design. If you solved the slippery problem would that be enough? You could mix sand with paint for a 'grip'. And use planters to create rooms.

But, if you must, you must tear down the deck. Have you considered a 'zen' garden? The pond would be suited for it. I took some photos recently, I'll dig for them. Also, google Zen garden. We are panning a similar project but much smaller!

Welcome and I enjoyed your photos.

cris

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  6. paulbasel

paulbasel New Seed

Cris, thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure how much longer the wooden planks on the deck will last. Here in Switzerland pressure treated wood is not allowed because of the chemicals used in the process. The primary preservative in all wood treatment is arsenic and that is banned here. I just read that 90% of all industrial arsenic used in the U.S. is for wood preservation. I thought the untreated wood (Russian Larch) would last longer and but I think it is time for it to go.

I had considered a Japanese garden at one point but it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the very modern lines of the extension to the house. I love Zen gardens but because of the bamboo it would be impractical. They shed so many leaves, leaf sheaths (the little covering on new leaves) and culm sheaths that the wonderful swirls created in the gravel of Zen gardens would be covered in a day. I know the gravel patio would also be a problem with leaves but at least when I use the leaf vacuum I wouldn't be disturbing the intricate swirls of a Zen garden.

I won't rule it out and so I would like to see the pictures you have. Once again thanks for thoughts and ideas.

Paul

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm looking through your photos as I write. You have a lovely home. :D

I'm wary when it comes to giving advice, since people have different tastes, but I can share some ideas if you like.

The pond is very nice, I'm glad you want to keep it. The grasses are very decorative. If I were to make a landscape with gravel, I'd plant several different types of grasses together in clumps. They make a nice contrast and look sort of "strict" but still add lovely structure. I'd put a bench and small table somewhere too, it looks more welcoming.

Up here we can buy Japanese-inspired stone lanterns that can be put directly on the ground or on pedestals. I'd definitely get me one or three of those to soften a gravel garden.

How about a raised border or three? I would make a raised bed, plant the olive tree near a corner of it and fill in with plants. Then I would use ground cloth around the plants and cover it with round decor pebbles.

Gravel makes a lot of noise when you walk on it. If I had a large, gravel-covered area I would look around for cement stepping-stones. They come in different shapes, fit in nicely and don't go crunch-crunch all the time.

Personally I prefer curved edges, but if you go with straight lines you need to make certain your areas are big enough in order to make it visually pleasing. Too small divisions tend to look messy. Well, that's what I think anyway.

I would choose a type of gravel that compliments the colour of the house. I don't know what choises you have where you live. Ours are very limited. It's light grey, grey and dark grey. :D

I hope this helps.

Frank, Cayuga Morning and donna in nc like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Paul, your home and gardens are lovely! I see why you want to replace the deck. Even if it weren't deteriorating, it looks stark compared to the rest of the lush grass and flowers.
    I've dealt with a gravel patio here in Texas, so I'll venture some ideas. Get pea gravel, which are small, round stones. Chairs and tables and planters are stable on pea gravel, but tend to be "tippy" on larger stones. Pea gravel is also more foot-friendly.
    Also, please consider putting a 3" barrier around the patio and around the water feature. Gravel moves, and when it gets into the grass, it's gone until you mow and the lost gravel hits your shins! The barrier will keep the gravel in place, and should have drainage holes about every 24".
    If possible, slant the whole patio just the slightest bit toward your grass area. During heavy rains, gravel tends to hold water, especially with a barrier cloth under it. The slightest tilt will let it drain faster.
    Let us know what you decide, and pictures, please!

Frank and donna in nc like this.
  9. cherylad

I'm curious about how to make the pond fit into the new patio area. It's shape looks really good with the straight lines of the existing deck... and being the same height as the deck also works. Are you thinking of leaving the pond raised? Will the new patio be kept square or will you be going for a curvier layout?

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with Carolyn. I really like the straight lines of the deck, especially with the long pool. BTW, that pool is spectacular.

I am not big on gravel, I think it tends to travel into the grass. It also "eats" women's high heels, positively ruins them. Maybe pea gravel wouldn't do that though. What if you replace the wood with composite? We have redone both our decks with this product and are happy with the appearance. It is also virtually maintenance-free, and is not slippery. It is however hotter on barefeet than natural wood.

[​IMG]
    Side deck, 1/2 day sun or less. Needs bleaching every 3 years or so. ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Side deck ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

Frank likes this.
  11. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    This is a much different style of garden than yours but I wanted to share what a neighborhood gardener did with gravel (special type for walkways/not pea gravel), tumbled glass (blue, but comes in a variety of colors) and a small cement paver edging (gravel does move and is a pain...literally.. if it gets into the grass/beds). I can see you using similar materials on a larger scale to fit your modern design sense. After 3 years this small area of compacted gravel and stone still looks great when I walk by. With the proper materials installed correctly weeds have never been a problem.

Whatever you decide I am sure it will be spectacular and can't wait to see what you choose to do.

[​IMG]
    Blue Glass and Gravel Walkway ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

Frank, Cayuga Morning and donna in nc like this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That is gorgeous Jewell!

13. paulbasel

paulbasel New Seed

I'll try to answer some of the questions and respond to the suggestions in the last 5 posts.

Droopy - excellent suggestions. I am going to keep the pond. Japanese inspired lanterns would look good, but I think I will attempt to create a Tuscan look to the area despite the bamboo. Your idea of a raised bed or border is definitely something I will consider; I just don't know where to put it (them) yet. I'm trying to avoid stepping stones but may have to resort to them. I discussed the color of gravel this morning with my wife and we both agreed it should be the color of the extension to the house which is now a weathered gray. The white 1 meter concrete blocks that make up the driveway are also now turning gray.

Marlingardener - Thanks for relaying your experience with gravel patios, very helpful. A barrier must figured into the plan, I just don't know what kind right now. The area already has a slight downward slope toward the grass and driveway was well. There is a very deep (1.5 meter) concrete sump filled with gravel under the grass end of the pond that was installed to drain the pond. It also serves as a collector if we have a very heavy downpour. A question about barrier cloth - are there some that are pourous to water but still suppress the weeds?

Cherylad - I will keep it at the same height. I will also retain the new patio as a rectangle, not curvy. You have made me think however how it will look without the deck at the same height. It might just look as if it is stuck there on the ground and not intergrated into the garden. It may need some type of wall around it to tie it in. My initial thought is a low stone wall similar to the one in the sample video I have at the end of this post.

Cayuga Morning - I wasn't aware of a composite that looked this good. The photos really help me to see what it really looks like after an installation. Thanks for the idea but, I think we have pretty much decided to do something different with the area.

Jewell - wow, that is colorful and a good example of how gravel can be kept in place. I like how the pots sit on the gravel as well.

I came across an example of the type of look we think we might like in the garden. It is much too grand for our modest little area, but perhaps it can be adapted to our setting. Let me know what you think of it and whether it would work in our smaller garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cBDYR34x3o

The designer also talks about deconstructed granite in the courtyard. Has anyone had any experience with this material? Pros and cons appreciated.

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, please. If you want to better understand our tastes and how we approach design it might be helpful to see how we have furnished our home.

http://paulpuente.com/home.html

I think it can illustrate why we are drawn to straight clean minimalist lines. Gardens are also rooms, but they just happen to get more rain than the ones inside. Feel free to poke around the rest of my website, just hit the "Home" button, upper right to see the main page and index.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Paul

Frank likes this.
  14. cherylad

Well... first I got stuck watching alot of those videos and forgot why I was there in the first place. :D I had to go back and watch the "original" video again.
    That does give more of an idea of what you have in mind.
    And after looking at the photos of your gorgeous home, I can see why you want that old patio gone. It looks so "old fashioned" and out of place when compared to your modern home.
    Regarding the weed barrier material, make sure you use something that will work AND will last a long time. I used some in one of my aunt's flower beds and you'd swear I didn't use any at all.

15. paulbasel

paulbasel New Seed

Thanks the comments cherylad and I will definitely spend the money on good barrier material.

Paul

16. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    The tighter the material installed the less likelyhood of plants finding a home. The mainteince of pea gravel can be a pain. I like the different textures of your posted utube 'like'. It would look lovely adapted to your space.