Cooking with Sauerkraut

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Dec 12, 2013.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Donna, you are too kind (and you don't know how many abject failures I've tried to get the dog to eat!).
    Melinda, funny you should mention sauerkraut. I live in a heavily German-heritage area. Here's a sauerkraut recipe for you:

Sauerkraut with Apples

1 quart sauerkraut
    1/4 c. sliced onions (yellow or white, not red)
    2 tblsps. bacon drippings
    2 medium apples (any good firm apple will do, but I prefer either Cortlands or Granny Smiths)
    1 c. white wine
    1 c. beef stock
    1 tsp. brown sugar (if your kraut is really "sauer this may need to be increased)
    1 tsp. celery seed

Drain the sauerkraut, cook the onions in the bacon fat until transparent, add the kraut and stir.
    Grate apples into the mixture, stir in wine and stock and cook uncovered over low heat for 30 minutes.
    Add sugar and celery seed. Cover and cook additional 30 minutes. Serves 4.

This recipe is from a dear lady who brings it to church potluck suppers every time. For all I know, it may be the same dish! Not a lot of kraut lovers in the congregation . . . .

Sauerkraut Salad

2 c. sauerkraut
    1 c. finely chopped celery
    1 medium onion, chopped fine
    1 2-oz. jar pimentos, chopped
    1 medium green pepper (sweet, not hot!) chopped fine
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    1/4 c. vinegar

Drain and rinse sauerkraut. Layer ingredients as listed. Do not mix. Refrigerate overnight. Serves six.

moderator's note: split this post into it's own topic

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I love sauerkraut. Even if I don't have homemade and have to buy the stuff. I like to take a polish sausage link (sliced into bite size) or pork chops and brown them with onion, then pour off grease and drain a jar of kraut and dump it on top of the sausage or chops, then pour about half a can of good beer over all, I like to add a bit of celery or caraway seed, let simmer till chops are done, sausage doesn`t take as long.