cordless mouse & keyboard

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by sewNsow, Feb 3, 2012.

1. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

My daughter got me a cordless mouse & keyboard set for Christmas. I noticed today it wasn't typing right.I changed batteries in mouse & it's working so this must be reason. Isn't 5 weeks a bit short for battery life? Can I use my old mouse with the new wireless keyboard?
    Doris

Dusty5069 likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

If your old mouse worked previously with your current computer then yes it should continue to work if you try it again. Is it a USB mouse?

4. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

I think everything is USB.Maybe those batteries that came with it weren't the freshest. Daughter said there should be a warning light down on lower right of my monitor to tell me if batteries are low. I haven't found it.
    I run Vista on Acer desktop.
    Doris

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I have a a cordless mouse & keyboard for one of my computers which is attached to a TV. I use this computer mainly for watching movies and the cordless mouse & keyboard acts like my remote :) Cordless mouse are very power hungry because of the laser tracking light. The battery life in my mouse usually last between 5 to 8 weeks and I use normal batteries. My mouse have a little switch at the bottom of the mouse and the power can be turned off when not in use. The tracking light usually turn off automatically when not in use but it is still in standby mode so it still draining power from the battery. It is best to shut off the mouse to extend battery life :)

Advertisement
  6. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

mouse

You're right, they do have a short life(the batteries). I just use rechargeables and keep on switching them out. :-D

7. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

all cordless items like those eat batteries up like they are going outta style..best to use usb connects.. wired

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If that first set of batteries came with the keyboard and mouse, it's no telling how old they were when you started using them. The charge does drain out while they are not being used so that first set sometimes doesn't even last a couple of weeks, plus they don't put very expensive ones in the box to begin with.

The wireless keyboard I have is on it's second set of batteries in the 4-5 years I have had it. The mouse goes through them quicker but we use the rechargeables and I always have a pair in the charger....I guess I have to swap the dead for fresh about 3-4 times a year.
    Invest in a AA charger and 4 AA rechargeables and you should be ready to go for a few years.

Frank likes this.
  9. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

I also have a wireless keyboard and mouse for my work system, along with a wireless mouse for my laptop. I don't remember when I last changed the batteries in the work set, and the laptop mouse isn't old enough to tell since I've only had it a couple of months. The packaging should give you an indication of how long the batteries will last. If they go down quickly, something may be wrong.

10. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Thanks everyone for the heads up about my cordless mouse.I will hang onto my old wired set just in case.
    Will look into getting rechargeables & charger .
    Doris