Crazy questions..

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by MWELLS, Nov 8, 2006.

1. MWELLS

MWELLS New Seed

Ok with being in the floral industry I often get very vaige (sorry cant spell) questions and descriptions of plants. We will start with one I got yesterday...

A houseplant... With jagged leaves... With half moon shaped seed pods that hang below the leaves...

All I can think of is a mimosa but I really would not describe them as jagged at all. Well if anyone has any thoughts let me know!!! Thank you!!!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mmmmm my first thought was mimosa too Michael as it has bean shaped seed pods. It could be a sensative plant as it has little thorns under the leaves.

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly that will be able to help you more.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I never heard of a mimosa being a house plant.Its a tree and grows big here in Texas, the pods are not jagged .I can't think of anything else that it could be .

5. bailey

bailey Seedling

I think he said the leaves were jagged not the pods Glendann. I agree the mimosas get huge here in Texas.

Advertisement
  6. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Those kinds of questions will drive you nuts, Michael. Since you are in the wholesale end of things, I guess you can't ask the customer to bring it in?

7. MWELLS

MWELLS New Seed

Thank you all for your suggestions. I told the customer all that I could come up with was Mimosa. Which actually is used as a houseplant up here. I grew some while in college and people loved them. But very difficult to get as I haven't found any yet. The plant as far as my customer knows could just be in her customers mind and she told me not to worry about it because she said the customer just wanted the name not the actual plant. OOH and if this doesn't throw us off anymore her customer said it was a rubber plant... hmm ooh the joy!! Thanks again you all helped a ton!! I can't wait for the next customer question...