Crumbling Dreams

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Sjoerd, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well then, the columnar Czech Malus domesticus 'Moonlight', has finally been harvested. There was almost a bushel on that one skinny tree! We are going to make the last batch of apple-sauce in the coming days, but hey--what to do until then? We have wrapped some individually in squares of newspaper and the rest are sitting in that basket waiting...and waiting....
    We have a little cinnamon in the house; but not much, not enough to make applesauce.

Today though, my Bride came up with an idea while we were reading the newspapers and so forth on the tablets-- "How about we make an apple crumble? We could have it by the tea and save the rest for a dessert one day. It is your favourite".

"I'm in", I yodelled with wide-eyed enthusiasm. Some things you just don’t have to think about first. Crumbles have long been a favourite of mine, I have dreamed of them. Truly, a "guilty pleasure".

So then, we tea’ed, bathed, ate brekkie and began laying our stuff out on the work surface.
    zzz22.jpg

The division of labour was simple: I would peel, core and dice the apples and my Bride would make the mix of ingredients for the apple bit as well as the mix to be added to the crumble topping. I would then add the mix to the diced apples and then we'd add the mix to the crumble topping. Simple.

She looked through our recipe’s and cook books, trolled the internet and we watched a couple of vids. We were ready...it was –SHOWTIME!

MIX FOR THE APPLES
    1 kilo apples (before peeling)
    1 tbsp flour
    ½ cup white sugar
    1 Tbsp lemon juice (you can use some zest as well if you like)
    ½ Tbsp cinnamon

MIX FOR THE CRUMBLE TOPPING
    1 cup oats
    1 cup flour
    1 cup brown sugar
    ½ tsp baking powder
    1 tsp Speculaas powder (this is a local thing)
    ½ cup butter
    Pinch of salt

In the oven at 180°C for 30-40 min

Right then, she wrote out an easy-to-follow recipe and we went to work. The Bride doing the apothacary and I doing the knife work. When it was all done, I took her mix for the apples, chucked it in and stirred it all round until the apple cubes were completely coated.

She came over and told me to level the apples in the glass pan and then to pat them down all nice and tidy. Sorted.

Then taking the crumble mix, she said, “I’ll just pour this on top now”.

I looked at her and said, “But isn’t that supposed to be a bit brownish from the brown sugar?

She stopped looked at me and was quiet for a couple of secs, then said, “Oops................ Yeah, yeah, yeah...”,

and I finished it, pointing at her with both arms and saying “Wooooooooooooo”!

Then together, “Brown sugar, you know it tastes so good”.

We went off in opposite directions singing, “Yeah, yeah, yeah...Wooooooooo. You know it tastes so good”.

We turned and skipped back at each other singing, “Yeah, yeah, yeah ...” And as we passed by each other we high-fived saying. “Woooooooooooo just like I knew you would, now”.

I patted the crumble topping down flat like I had done with the apples and in the oven it went. After a few seconds, she asked, "Did I see you pat that crumble topping down"?
    "Yeh, woi", I said.
    "It's called a 'crumble' for a reason, that will become a cookie". Hahaha
    All was not lost, she took it out and chicken-scratched it until it was crumbly again. Well done, her.

Ah, it was our first time, perhaps the learning curve will improve in time.

A little baking music for you:

Oké, we take liberties with the Stones' text, but the crumble was now back on track.
    zzz22b.jpg

So then, after the crumble came out and cooled a bit, we tucked-in, cos it was teatime innit.
    zzz22bdab.jpg

Guys I’ll tell you --- this crumble may not have had the customary topping (because of Corona we were out of ice cream, pudding and so forth) but it was a flavour to die for. The flavour was epic. Another Bridal masterpiece. She's a legend.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  2. mart

mart Strong Ash

You might try making a filling similar to pie filling and putting it in the freezer ! I use apples and apple juice along with the sugar and spices thickened with a cornstarch slurry ! When apples are done, (cook them first and add cornstarch slurry at the end) and juice is thickened just freeze in amounts you want ! Then for the crumble just thaw,, put in a baking dish and add the topping before baking !

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The Bride and I both thank you for your comments. Such a good suggestion. I had to ask my Bride what corn starch was in Dutch. Haha. She could have used that instead of flour I reckon...or rather SHE reckons. Mart, you are just full of good ideas. Thanks a mil.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Either cornstarch or flour will work ! I keep fillings like this in my freezer for desserts without a lot of fuss !

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks to your idea Mart, my Bride has announced that we are going to freeze-in our next batch and then combine as you suggested. Thanks again, pal.