Cucamelon questions

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Melody Mc., Feb 18, 2022.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I had a few garden disasters in my greenhouse/cold frame the last two years. Half of it now has new soil and had a great cucumber crop for eating and pickles last year. The other half needs a full soil replacment this spring and will be for the tomatoes. Each side is 14 ft long, and the beds are about 2 1/2 ft wide. I wish it was larger and a new green house will be built within the next couple of years. ( with a wee woodstove...can't wait!) Hence, I must plan what I put it in the existing greenhouse very carefully.

I tried cucamelon last year in a small back portion of the bed, as well as in a pot. They died ( hence the soil replacement....another thread one day).

Having never grown this successully ( yet ;)) I wonder if those who have already grown it can offer some insight into the size of the plant? Does it do alright in a pot with a trellis and if so how large of a pot? Will it get so thick and large that it could potentionally block sunlight from other plants if not placed correctly? Does require or handle pruning/training?

It looks so interesting, and seems to appeal to me the way a cherry tomato does - for salads and snacking. Having said that I won't be able to put an indeterminte cherry in the greenhouse this year because it takes up too much room. My pantry is crying for canned tomatoes after two years of disaster.

I'm weighing if I can fit a cucamelon in it this year. I can't grow it outside of the coldframe.

Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'll have to start my seeds for it within the next few weeks if I decide I can fit it into the space.

- Mel

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Melody, what is a cucamelon?

Melody Mc. likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I grow cucamelons in pots alongside my garden fence. They need a lot of water!
    They grow up to the top of the fence and then grow along the fence, but I'm sure they would climb very high if given the right trellis.
    I think the pots I use are 24" wide.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I think Netty or another member would be able to provide a better answer if they wish, as I am yet to grow them. :):stew1: They appear to be a miniature cucumber the shape of a wee water melon. They akin to me as being the "cherry tomato" of cucumbers....prolific and very small. They have other names...Mexican Mouse Melon is one I've heard.

I have this vision of having a cucamelon and a cherry tomato growing next to each other and having greek salad for the summer :nerdy::nerdy:

This is a photo from The Home Gardener. Hope it is okay to post it.

cucamelon- the home gardener.jpg

6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Ahhhh Netty....I can't thank you enough for that information. That was very helpful. That is a very busy plant and would take up a little too much real estate for me right now. Drat!! I think I may start day dreaming of a wee spot I have just outside the greenhouse with two tall poles for my satellites. One could perhaps fashion a drop down/roll up temporary plastic shelter...to weather things until June. Lots of room to climb. hmmmmmm. Thanks again! You saved me a lot of trouble! I'll definitely hold onto some seed until the greenhouse improvements.

Netty likes this.