Cucumber Plant Stressed and Wilting

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by SeanLI, Jul 30, 2021.

1. SeanLI

SeanLI Seedling

Oddly enough, only PART of this cucumber plant is stressed and the leaves collapsed.

Cview.jpg
    The last time I saw this was when a rather mature trio of cuke plants were transplanted from a 1 gallon pot into a 5 gallon planter. Their roots had taken a beating during that transplantation, and required hourly to bi-hourly drenching for a day (and then further aggressive watering) until they recovered in a few days.

The difference here is: watering isn't helping.

What happened:

This cuke plant is in a big, crowded raised planter with a pair of tomato plants, some bean plants, a corn stalk and a few pest control herbs and flowers. I was trying to add supports to some of the other plants in the planter (e.g., tying twine, hammering a nail into a 10 foot support pole adjacent to the planter, etc). I cannot see any bruised or damaged areas in the plant, and I traced back the wilting to an original shoot from the plant base. But I can see no damage.

Could I have somehow torn part of the cuke plant's root system down below: a section that supports only part of the plant?

Any ideas?

The only thing I thought to do was take the weight off of part of the topmost plant by tying a supporting twine to it.

Some weird things I noticed on the plant:

Weird3.jpg

Weird01.jpg

Weird2.jpg

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

It will not do well with all those other plants,, all of which are heavy feeders and require a lot of water
    It needs to be in its own pot or container ! As do all the others ! Corn ?? you are kidding ? No way you can supply what those plants need to grow and produce ! When you plant cucumber plants they have to be a pot or container they will stay in ! All mine are in styrofoam containers with 2 plants per pot ! Blooming like crazy but require daily watering since potting soil will not retain water !

4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

My solution for cucumber is sow 20 if I need 10. Then don't worry, be happy.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mart’s remarks above are spot on. She has good insight and advice here.

Advertisement
  6. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

When I use grow bags I have water trays for them to sit in, and I can go 5-7 days before watering. I know you know about this bit but wondered why you do not do it?

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

What kind of grow bags are you talking about ? Those that sit on the ground or those that hang ?
    I just use what I have available ! And I have plenty of the styrofoam that I get my insulin in ! Re-use and recycle !

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  8. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I use 7 gallon grow bags on the ground, on those water trays. I cannot imagine how much work to water that much. I use a lot of vermiculite to hold water when I use them.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

My styrofoam containers are about three gallons and I water every other day unless the temps are as it is now,,,98 degrees ! Then I water daily ! Mine have just started to put on little cucumbers ! I was late planting them !

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  10. mart

mart Strong Ash

As llarge as those plants are in the top pic,, they should not have been re-potted ! 6 inches tall is about the limit for repotting most things !

11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I have no luck with any squash or cucumber once the roots get bigger either.

12. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I live in upstate NY and had a similar issue. I think the cooler night temps the past few weeks nights affected mine along with my tomato and eggplant.