Cucumber plants dying!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Montanagardener, May 26, 2006.

1. Montanagardener

Montanagardener New Seed

Hi All,

My son and I have transplanted our cucumber plants to our garden and they were doing marvelous for around 3 weeks. Now all of a sudden the main stem has turned white and dried out. They have received plenty of water. Is this like a plant "sun-burn", or is it something else?

Thank you all.....love the site! :-D

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Cucumber plants

You may have watered to much .
    I'm really not sure but it could be
    scalded if it rained and then the hot
    sun came out it would do that too.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't know if this site will be of any use to you or not MG but thought it might just help.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2206.htm

Sorry I can't answer your question but I'm afraid I don't grow cucumbers. :( Maybe if EJ reads your message she'll be able to help more.

5. Crazy Orchid Lady

Crazy Orchid Lady Seedling

I'm not sure if this is allowed here but I'll give it a shot. There is a product on the market (if you're in the US, not sure about other places) called Superthrive. Its wonderful and I'll be happy to send you their website in a pm (unless its allowed here - I don't want to break any rules.

Anyway, I use 1/4 tsp/gallon of water and flood the roots whenever I transplant. Saves the plant from shock and damping off. I haven't lost a plant yet using this stuff and have considerable new growth on all plants (I use it on everyone). Everyone is stronger and blooms seem to last longer.

Also, be sure to fertilize (ST can be used with fertilizer) but don't over do it. AND, water at night or early morning so you don't risk scalding or root burn. Plants to 90% of their growth before 10AM so its best to feed them before then.

Let me know if you want more info, I'll be happy to provide.

Hope this helps.