Curtains

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Doghouse Riley, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I got talked into new curtains for our house.

These were the old ones throught the house, they are quite thin but of a thermal material and were very effective. (The net curtains are new I got them on line a few weeks ago for several rooms).

P1040451.JPG

Now that presented a problem as with her disability, there was no way my wife could trapse around material shops looking for something. The nets weren't a problem. So it all had to be done on line.
    A case of finding a supplier who could send her some material she liked, from which to choose and then make them up for five rooms
    I found Blinds/Curtains to Go on line which had a huge variety of materials on their website.
    We ordered samples and she chose the ones she wanted. Then it was a case of measuring up and doing the order. It's taken about three weeks.

Part of our order of curtains arrived yesterday and I put two pairs up. The long ones in the lounge and these in the front room.
    I went for shorter ones in this room as it was impossible to draw the right-hand old long curtains completely back because of the snake pit of wires behind the TV and all those of the three boxes of kit underneath it.

P1040506.JPG

This could have been a very expensive disaster. However, it's all working out very well. They are of a heavy material and have thermal linings. So far I've got the measurements right I guess with 125,000 positive reviews they would do a good job.

I've put the hooks in the new long ones for the front bedroom and adjusted the pinch pleating to the correct length. They can't go up yet as I'm waiting for some gliders I've ordered on ebay. But they and the other two pairs of curtains should be here before the week-end so the job will be done.

Wasting nothing, I used a pair of the old curtains to make covers for my jukeboxes in the tea-house. I was using dust covers, but these curtains which are made of a very effective thermal material, will help keep them warm in the winter. They each have a 60w bulb in the bottom of their cabinets on a timer to keep them as near room temperature as possible, as they don't like cold or damp.

P1040501.JPG

Just a few tacking stitches to create the shape.

I can turn my hand to most things.

They'll be easy to lift off when I want to play them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  2. mart

mart Strong Ash

Now thats a smart thing to do !

Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Dust is the enemy of all; you have that sorted.
    Well done.

4. MayaGmail

MayaGmail Guest

Curtains provide a nice look to the rooms of the house.

Pacnorwest and Doghouse Riley like this.

Advertisement
  5. MayaGmail

MayaGmail Guest

Curtains provide the upgraded look to the rooms of the house.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

nice TV

Pacnorwest likes this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Well done once again DHR! Great idea having a thermal cover on your equipment - very wise, and they look smart! The new curtains are beautiful. Isn't it amazing what we can find on line? So great that your wife could involve herself and choose, without the burden of going to a shop.

8. Doghouse Riley

I should add I had to complain about the full length front bedroom curtains, as they had a few slubs in them.
    The were £500.
    I took photos and attached them to the e-mail.

They said not to worry, they would replace them and to throw the others away. They were odd widths as on one side of the room they couldn't be drawn back as far as the other side as there were fitted wardrobes in the way. So wouldn't be much use to anyone else.
    When the new ones arrived they were the same shade but a slightly different finish, I complained again (more photos) and they said they'd run out of the original material but expected to receive more in about three months and then they'd replace them again. Which they did.

When they arrived they were exactly the same as the previous set!
    We couldn't bother to complain as we'd had the others up for months and got used to them.
    We can tell the difference, but when our daughter on a visit saw them, the slight difference had to be pointed out to her. So they're back in the carton and in a cupboard.

They also gave us £100 in compensation.

Pacnorwest, Jewell and Melody Mc. like this.
  9. MayaGmail

MayaGmail Guest

Curtains are the home improvement technique that has been used for providing a stylish look to the rooms of the house.

Pacnorwest and Doghouse Riley like this.
  10. MayaGmail

MayaGmail Guest

Curtains are the home decor technique that has been used to improve the look of the rooms of the house.

11. MayaGmail

MayaGmail Guest

Nice article has been shared here about the curtains

Pacnorwest likes this.
  12. Doghouse Riley

I've just re-read this thread, so thanks for the kind words.
    I noticed the TV was mentioned. It's a 43" Sony Bravia 4K Android.
    I bought this now about three years ago and another (non-android) for the lounge.
    It a was an "'ave it!" moment, as I had a perfectly good 32" Panasonic Viera and a 43" LG in the Lounge. The Panasonic is in the tea-house and the LG is just kept as a spare.

I have to confess "I don't talk to it much," although it's good if you want to know something, or find somewhere.

Few things are very easy, are they?
    I bought the one in the photo from Curry's as I'd seen it on their website and it was at a good price. After I collected it from the store, I queried the fact that nowhere in the paperwork was there any mention of, a five year guarantee. I was told there wasn't one. When I looked on-line it no longer mentioned a five year guarantee, but I'd taken a "snip" of the listing on my laptop a day after I placed the order where the 5 year guarantee is mentioned. So I e-mailed them a copy, I got my 5 year guarantee.
    I bought the second one from John Lewis which had a five year guarantee.

TV.PNG

The next problem I had was sitting it on a small TV table, it wouldn't on either, as the feet were too widely spaced, but I found some stands on e-Bay. The TV has enough USB sockets for the Virgin Tivo box, two Humax tuner/recorders, a £34 (can you believe that) CD/DVD player from Currys that has a brilliant picture and great sound and a vintage VHS recorder/player as I've a few film noir, on tape I've not been able to record since on TV or buy a DVD. But I had to buy an adapter as it only has scart connections.
    I can feed the audio from anything, through my vintage Leak tuner/amp and big Goodmans speakers. Hiding the multitude of wires was difficult, (I hate seeing them) an eight socket mains adapter is hidden behind the stand. My tenor sax lives behind the TV, it stops my wife from accidentlly bashing it with a vacuum cleaner if she gets a bit carried away with it when I'm out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  13. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

@Doghouse Riley I recently treated myself to a 55" Toshiba Smart Fire TV

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  14. Doghouse Riley

Good choice.
    Mine is about as big as this room can take, as it's only 12ft by 9ft. Typical size for a front room in small semis in the UK