Damaged Dracaena Compacta Question

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by MarbleQueen, Oct 17, 2022.

1. MarbleQueen

MarbleQueen New Seed

The other day I rescued this plant from a Lowes. Some leaves have severe brown tips as you can see, and other leaves are browned completely. He's already been repotted with fresh soil. Considering I don't always trust the random advice found on Google, I want to ask:

1. I should definitely remove the full brown leaves, right?
    2. I read it's best to cut off the brown tips. If so, I also read to leave just a sliver of brown when cutting, as to not cut into the healthy part of the leaf.

I really want this plant to live his best life. Any advice is appreciated! :smt049

[​IMG]
    First day home ( photo / image / picture from MarbleQueen's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I think the advice about the brown leaves is sound, and the important bit is to use a clean and very sharp blade. As a general rule using rainwater to water indoor plants is safest for them.
    I'm not sure that repotting your plant was the best idea, as I've lost a few by doing that, especially at this time of year. Your plant is very slow growing, so will not need too much root space until it shows clear signs that it's root bound.
    With so many plants indoors most problems seem to occur with improper watering for their particular needs.
    You can't go wrong with any Pothos. I love those, and they are the easiest ones to start with.
    Watch out for mealy bugs with your Dracaena !

Pacnorwest, Jewell and eileen like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

MQ.. really nice creacena. They are bey easy and naturally leaves witll browm. Cut dead material off all,potted plants ASAP as the dead material have a gas that encourages plants material to die . Water very lightly during winter like..,I have a few for many years and have bloomed a few times. The fragrance is over the top for inside they usually bloom during July so they go out on the porch to vent the house..

5. MarbleQueen

MarbleQueen New Seed

Thank you so much for the replies and advice. I cut off the brown tips and removed the bottom-most leaves that were totally brown. He's looking better, I think. Those yellow/brown little splotches left on some of the leaves, however, I'm not entire sure what to do with. I felt it was best to leave them for now?

[​IMG]

My plants are all in my living room, receiving pretty good light from a west-facing window, so I'm hoping he's happy. Tetters, as many cool plants that are out there, I am in LOVE with my Pothos and I can't wait to get more down the road.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

They are ever so easy to propagate, and as they grow so quickly there's always loads of material to get the cuttings from. I intend to increase my plants too, and will wait now until early spring to do that. I shall fill my garden room with them - every nook and cranny :smt045
    There is a new name for these now but I can never remember it. They will keep ''Pothos'' in this house :D

eileen likes this.
  7. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

The dracaena doesn't really need much fertiliser, but I think it may still be early enough to give yours a dilute liquid feed just once now before letting it have a rest for winter. After that it would be best to leave it until spring when the growing season starts again. It sure looks better without the brown bits :like: