Daylight savings time

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Oct 29, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

For those of us in the USA, daylight savings time ends this Sunday, and we "fall back."
    Personally, DST seems silly to me, but then I'm more attuned to sunrise and sunset than to a clock.
    Do you think DST is a good or bad idea? Do you think that DST actually saves any energy, as was propounded when its span was increased?

2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I think its dumb. Like the saying goes "Only the white man could think he could cut a foot off the end of a blanket, sew it to the top and have a longer blanket" :D
    Seriously, if people want "longer" days, why not just get up earlier?

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Arizona does not have DST and it does just fine. We lived there over 20 years and didn't miss the DST.

dooley

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Half the items in the house already have DST programmed into them The other half we often ignore. And who wants to get up at 2:00 in the morning to change the clocks anyway.....:) :) The only real clock that I go by is the RTC. If that is wrong we are in a lot of trouble. They should scrap the whole thing. For the most part computers run commerce, the internet and and rocket launches.......oops.....Did anyone hear that? Maybe we should think about that again.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I think it is ridiculous. As far as saving energy.. Bah! How about the money expended for the government, public and commercial companies to pay the time it takes all the janitors to change the time twice a year.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We put our clocks back last week-end. I wish they'd stop mucking about with time like this and simply put it forward next spring and then leave it alone. Our government is thinking of changing this forward and back nonsense but what exactly they have in mind who knows. :shrug: Next year it will have been in place for 100 years - surely more than enough time to sort it out.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

There's actually a debate in Ireland as to whether to scrap DST. Our clocks changed last weekend like Eils. Really makes the evenings feel short now.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I hate it! It usually takes my body at least 2 weeks to get used to the new time. For all the difference it makes I wish they would just leave the clocks alone!

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I have the solution, but the powers that be just never take my advice....
    move the clock HALF an hour. Either direction... their choice... and leave the dang thing alone! :-x

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When I was just out of 1st grade (summer of 1953) my Dad was in 'basic' training with IBM in Endicott, N.Y. We went up to spend the summer with him and really liked the DST they were already using, it gave us much more outside play time in the evenings. But the drive-in movies started so much later that we didn't get to go very often since Dad had to be in class early in the mornings.

I like standard time best, I look forward to night closing in sooner in the evenings and for gardening I really enjoy morning light earlier in the day to get more done outside before the sun gets too hot.

Texas did not join the DST routine until the Uniform Time Act was signed by Pres. Johnson in April, 1966 and went into effect in April, 1967. There were exemptions for states who passed a State Law against DST, they could stay on Standard time for their zones...Arizona and Hawaii opted out.

Now most of our clocks have atomic workings and re-set themselves in March and October and our computers re-set themselves too.

12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

My phone, iPad and computer reset themselves. I have to re-set the clock in my bedroom.

Personally I think it's ridiculous. Like someone else said, it takes me a couple of weeks to get used to it. I feel like my internal clock, and my own innate circadian rhythm, gets all out of whack twice a year because of having to set the clocks forwards and back.

Definitely NOT a fan :(

13. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

I don't really see how it helps anything. I also lived in Arizona for a few years and really appreiated that the time never changed.

14. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Got many clocks to change.And buy new batteries for smoke alarms. Takes us a long time to get use to change. Got Sun lights to read by in winter.

15. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I do not have a strong opinion either way. It is a pain for us "old School" folks to change all the wall clocks. Yes, we still look at a clock on the wall to tell time occasionally. :)
    Around here, there was always the talk that the time change helped the farmers harvesting later in the day to have an extra hour of daylight.

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The only entities who benefit from the time change are ....retailers, restaurants and entertainment providers. Cha ching...$$$$$!!!!! people have more daylight hours at the end of the work day to go do "things" meaning most of those things cost money..... and that is the rest of the story.

marlingardener and fatbaldguy like this.