De-feeding the squirrels

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by veebur, Mar 11, 2009.

1. veebur

veebur New Seed

Hi Everyone!

Last summer I had a huge problem with squirrels eating my day lilly leaves. We live on 5 acres surrounded by woods so it isn't just a random thing. We've got em all the time.

Any suggestions for deterring them? My thought is something like a pepper spray or Critter Ridder as I'd like to do it naturally.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Best -- Vic

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have heard that sprinkling Blood Meal around the garden will keep squirrels away. It is a good source of nitrogen for the plants too. Since it only works as a deterrent when the ground is dry, you will have to re-apply when the ground has dried after a rain.

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Pepper spray sounds cruel. I've heard coyote urine works good, it can be bought, just google it to find a source.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yeah, the pepper spray can get in their little eyes and cause problems....then you would be stuck with a bunch of blind squirrels...not a pretty thought :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

Poor squirrels!Pepper spray in the eyes but I guessed it was meant as the pepper stuff you spray on indoor plants to deter pets from eating them not the person defensive pepper spray. I really do not know what would deter them though It had never crossed my mind that squirrels would eat the garden plants.

7. veebur

veebur New Seed

Hi guys!

Thanks for such great feedback. No not the pepper spray used as a defensive tactic. I promise no blind squirrels -- I actually like the little guys and feed them corn in the winter when there's nothing else. Besides, those little boogers are FAST. I couldn't even get close to spray them.

Nope, I was thinking about a capsacin spray on leaves but I think blood meal sounds even better. Thanks, Toni! :p

8. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

How about setting up feeders for them to keep them busy eating something that you want them to eat. we feed the few squirrels and chipmunks around our house and they don't do any damamge in the gardens. One of the feeders is right by the lilies and they don't touch them. I think they prefer the nuts and corn.

9. veebur

veebur New Seed

Wonderful suggestion Gardenmama! My concern is that we have so many of them -- we're surrounded by woods -- that I'd be feeding them forever. I'll give it a shot, though, and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

10. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

they love bread too..and we always give our old bread and toast scraps tot he squirrels. they are rather cute when they are not destroying things!

11. veebur

veebur New Seed

Hey, you're in Vermont, my favorite state! I spent 3 years in South Royalton. Where are you located in the Green Mountain state?

Raccoons love old bread too -- my brother and sister in law feed a pack of them every night. When it's cold they can go through 2 or 3 loaves!!

12. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I am in groton, VT. Up interstate 91, about an hour or so from the canadian border.

13. veebur

veebur New Seed

I've never been to Groton but had some classmates who were from there. Gorgeous place. Do you use a greenhouse to extend your growing season?

14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Veebur, since you are surrounded by woods, I would think putting out feed of any kind would open up a whole new can of worms for you (Other animals) I would stick to blood meal or skoot.

15. veebur

veebur New Seed

Netty:

Yup, I think you're right -- though I do feed them in winter when things are bleak. Never heard of Skoot. What is that and can I get it in the US?

16. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I don't have an outside greenhouse yet, but that is in the plan..eventually. I do have an indoor set up that my husband built me so that I can start my seeds indoors. Soon the nights will be warm enough that everything can go out on my sun porch.

I also have 2 portable little greenhouse like covers that I can pull out and place over plants once I plant them if it is getting cooler at night.