Deck suggestions.

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Ronni, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Since we moved into our house just before Christmas, one of the projects I've been itching to start is to do something with our back deck. We had some work done on it to repair a couple things, then had it stained a lovely warm color, and there it sat all winter, waiting. Now that it's warming up, I wanted to get rolling on doing something with it, but I'm really not sure what.

I bought some patio furniture that I just finished assembling, and it looks nice against the deck color and the background of green.

In pieces in the den:
    [​IMG]

Assembled and on the deck:
    [​IMG]

It's not expensive furniture, it's really just place-holder type stuff until we can afford to get something more permanent. We're putting a bunch of money into replacing the patio door, currently a swing open and close one, with a sliding one, which will be a lot less cumbersome and save some much needed space in the eat-in kitchen area. My housemate is doing the research on that now and that's going to be the major project for this season. Next will be, I think, to screen in the deck area so we're not plagued by bugs....a continuous nuisance in this part of the country. Meanwhile my housemate has his eye on an inexpensive gazebo with screens which he's thinking will fit nicely over 1/2 the deck area, and will provide some protection from the bugs for this season.

We've picked out a grill, just haven't bought it yet. I want to put some containers of colorful flowers out there, and other ornament type things.

What else can I do?

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    You seem to have covered all the majors. Can't wait to see the progress. Your furniture looks lovely and a perfect place to have a cup of coffee/tea or read a book. :stew1:

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I suggest you start enjoying it now and while you are, other ideas of things you want to add will come to you. Be sure to have a piece of paper and pen at the ready...or your ipad/iphone if you are higher tech than me...so you can jot down the ideas.
    You and your housemate could have brain storming session some late afternoon, bouncing ideas off each other.

5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

What you have done very nice.But if you ever have high winds. bring the glass top in garage or inside.Helped friend suck up glass with shop vacuum.And her was a huge picnic table.Very lucky -(just) missed one of her sliding doors

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great start... and a nice view! I think you should just do as you're doing. Taking it one step at a time. Solutions tend to present themselves as the need (and funds) arrive.

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks for the tip. That didn't occur to me, but you're right, I do need to be vigilant. Also need to alter the cushion design slightly. The seats attach to the chairs, but the backs don't, and yesterday when it was kind of windy, one of the cushions blew off. It's not an expensive set and the cushions are very lightweight

Great minds..... :) I've been running a list, and yeah, we're fairly high tech so everything goes into my iPhone on a list, which my housemate is linked to, so when I add something he sees it, and vice versa. Saves a lot of back and forth.

I've been waiting till the gazebo comes in, because I realized that it will define the entire deck space, and change what I put out there, and where I put it. Obviously I can't pot a bunch of sun plants if some will end up in the gazebo. And until we get the grill, I'm not sure how much space that will take up.

I'm a very visual person so it's harder for me to plan things out on paper. I need to SEE what I'm planning, so I tend to get the basic components and set them out so that I can move them around in different configurations and see how they look.