deer eating everything!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by lisa palombo, May 31, 2007.

1. lisa palombo

lisa palombo New Seed

Hi I live in the New Jersey, USA suburbs... too much building around here... and so the deer are eating everything! Including my plants on the patio and front porch.

Any suggestions to keep them from eating everything?

Lisa

2. Loading...

3. Hank

Hank Seedling

Mix up some tabasco, dish soap, and water in a squirt bottle and start squirting. The dish soad helps the tabasco stick to the tasty plants, making them too spicey for the deer's tastes. There was another concoction I heard about on WPR, but it involved raw eggs and tabasco set in a jar to "ripen", then poured around the garden. That one didn't sound too appealing. And the easiest is probably Human Hair. Get some floor sweepins from your barber shop and sprinkle them around the garden. Or there's always the store bought stuff: http://www.deerrepellents.com/

4. lisa palombo

lisa palombo New Seed

thanks! I've tried Liquid Fence, deer spray, with success but you need to apply often... and boy those deer remind me when it rains at night or I forget! :0)
    I'll try your first suggestion. I hear the raw eggs make you want to stay away from your own flowers too! if you know what I mean.

5. hummingbird3172

hummingbird3172 In Flower

I know that the only reason I'm so envious is because this hasn't happened to me :D . I have heard that you can get scotch bonnet or habanera chilis and put them in veg. oil and gently heat on the stove to make an infused oil. This can be sprayed on your plants (you can mix with dish soap)......those peppers are pretty hot so you might have to worry about the deer knocking on the door for a glass of water. :D

6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

If you have cats do not do it they will get the pepper in their eys and scratch their eys out.