Deer on the road

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by dooley, Oct 16, 2007.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

When we were coming home from work last night we came around the last corner before our street. Something appeared in the headlights in front of us. I always come around that corner slow because one time there were javalina in the road. Last night I crept forward and there was a small deer in the road. It was a fawn, it still had the spotted back. It stood and looked at us and I just sat and waited for it to move. It turned and started trotting up the road in front us. When it came to our street, it turned down the street. It kept trotting and I heard the junkyard dogs start barking. I'm sure it reached the creek. I hope it followed the creek back to where it belonged. It's the first deer we've seen this fall. I wish I had had the camera with us for a picture.
    dooley

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thank goodness you came around the corner slowly Dooley. I really hope the fawn made it back to the creek in safety.

I know I'm showing my ignorance here but what exactly are javalina? I never heard of them before. :-?

4. dooley

Javalina are small wild boars. They are prolific here in Arizona. They sleep mostly during the day and roam around at night looking for food. When they are in town, they prefer tipping garbage cans to find what they can find. They are dangerous especially if there are small ones. It's against the law to capture and tame them.
    dooley

5. redrose

redrose Seedling

Ohh . . aren't young deer just the cutest?! Too bad you weren't able to get a picture of it. Perhaps it will show itself again (but not in the road, of course).

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

A shame you didn't have you camera with you Dooley. All in a day's work for a fawn I'd say.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for the information about Javalina Dooley. That's what I love about The Stew - you learn something new almost every day!!! :D

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Here in Texas the Wild hogs are Russian hogs and they get huge .They breed with domestic hogs and end up all colors.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Glad the little deer made it to the creek. I had no idea what Javalina were either Eileen.

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Going slowly is often very wise. Well done Dooley. Those javalina, are they a native breed?

11. dooley

We didn't see the deer last night but I drove slowly anyway and turned my lights on bright. Javalina are native to the Southwest and Mexico. It is a Mexican name.

dooley