Designers mate

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by toonarmy898, Sep 28, 2007.

1. toonarmy898

toonarmy898 New Seed

Hi, im a sixth form student studying a product design A-level. for my product i am making a storage device for designers drawing and sketching equipment. it will have have various mounting abilities, such as to the wall or on a drawing board. the arm supporting it will be manoevreable so it can be moved around while drawing to give easy access.
    To further research my product i wanted to investigate what designers thought about the idea and whether they had any additional ideas.

thanks for your time.

2. Loading...

3. rushme

rushme New Seed

Hi Toonarmy, your product will rock in designer i am sure of that. I am a practicing architect and commercial artist by profession, so i know the difficulties you face while drawing and working on big sheets on big drafting board. The big problem which we face is where to put all those thousnads of instrument which you required all at the same time.

I like your idea of hanging the storage on the wall but still not convince with the idea of hanging it on the drafting table, because i feel though you will make the storage flexible enough to move while working but still it will create problem. AS you work on big sheets you constantly move around the table with your T-scale and other instrument, in such situation if you need to move your storage every time it will create problem.

i would like to suggest you few ideas which i always wanted around my table of working.

First it can hang on the wall or can stand beside the drafting table on the floor.

It should have good storage for n numbers of taps which you required to fix the sheet on the board, it should be such that you don't have to take tap every time in your hand you can just pull the tap and use it.because tap is such thing if it comes in hand you put anywhere after using and you wont get next time when you need to fix the sheet.

Drafting paints ( rotering pains) you must be knowing about that, they are very expensive and you work with them all the time with more than 3, so your storage should have proper space for these pens and their inks.

It seems that you are designing storage for only equipments but i think you should design some space
    for the sheet because many a time it so happen or rather i will say when ever your are working on floor plans of the building you work on two to three sheets at the same time and you need those sheets very handy, so a good space is necessary.

Last thing which comes to my mind is there should be some space for referring book or documents, as when your are drafting you can't keep those things on board and you end up in putting such things on table your are seating and your are standing and drafting.

I work at a stretch for 18 hrs or sometimes more when i was i student to you prefer to work by seating on the stool to make sure the height consideration of your storage, it should be handy in seating possition.

Hope what ever i have suggested you is of any help to you. Good luck with your project.

4. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

designing

Put a swivel in the middle for easier access.

5. toonarmy898

toonarmy898 New Seed

rushme, thanks for such a good reply and some really good ideas from someone who obviously understands the problem i am trying to solve.
    i have thought about using a swivel in the middle because it means more things can be held on it.

thanks for your comments so far and look foward to more :-D