Did I commit a design 'faux pas' with my flooring?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by merrickmgt, Feb 5, 2007.

1. merrickmgt

merrickmgt New Seed

I am building a new house and due to budget constraints put one type of hardwood flooring on the entire first floor, and upstairs I had to have carpeting (it was more in the budget) but one of the rooms does have hardwood, but a different color, as we had to get laminate (Pergo type) because it was cheaper :-|

I watch a lot of HGTV and I know that having varied flooring is not really good from a re-sale standpoint. We have tile in the kitchen and all baths. A good grade of hardwood on the first floor, carpet on the top floor but the dreaded pergo type laminate in one of the rooms on the top floor (my husbands music studio).

Did I make a HUGE mistake or just a small one?

2. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I wouldn't consider it a mistake. If you do decide to sell the house, people will see that it's a music studio and understand the flooring change. Then again, alot of people include a flooring allowance to replace the carpet, and they could replace the pergo, too. No worries.
    Oh, and welcome to the Stew!

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

No Merrick I don't see that you've made a faux pas at all. One room would not put a buyer off purchasing you house I'm sure.
    Much better to have just one room with laminate flooring for new owners to tackle, if they want to, than many rooms.

WELCOME to our forums and I hope we'll get to know you much better soon. :D

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi, welcome to the Stew. Hope you stay around and join in the discussions.

I don't see a problem, besides whose to say that the next buyer won't hate carpeting and tile, rip it up and put down laminate flooring throughout the house.

Before my folks sold their house years ago, they spent almost $6000 on brand new carpet through out the house to impress possible buyers as the realtor told them to do. Two months after the new owners moved in all that brand new carpet was on the curb for the trash truck to haul off.

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I have always taken the view that you choose the floor/walls/etc. to be what YOU want and need - a home is to live in, not just an investment. And yes, floors are changeable. It would be up to a future buyer to decide if they wanted to ask for a flooring allowance as a part of the sale or not - maybe they will love the pergo and use it for a kids room (oh good, no nice wood for the kid to ruin!). :)