Did you learn about plants today? Something to share? :-)

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jerry Sullivan, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The world of Botany is so large that we can only hope to understand a small fraction of the life it encompasses. However, we often do not have to venture far to find something new and wondrous. Perhaps you would like to share with fellow stewbies a sliver of that botanical pie and tell of something you discovered about plants..

Dispite living in the suburbs and growing plants I still have engrained in my thought process vestiges of city life where produce grows in the supermarket.
    When you think about it these plants do share some commonalities but I never linked them all together. Broccoli, Kale, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels Sprouts all share something in common. They are all derived from Brassica oleracea. Manipulated by farmers for centuries from their common ancestor, they hardly ever share the same sentence.

Jerry

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I don't know much about botany, but I have recently learned about "umbelliferae" which are plants that have flower heads shaped like umbrellas. These include carrots, parsley, celery, dill, anise, and some others I don't remember at the moment.
    A botanical name that makes sense! :)

Henry Johnson likes this.
  4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Plants breath in oxygen during the night in order to to continue making sugar but they give off 10 times that nightime amount of oxygen in the daylight hours during photosynthesis.

It is beleaved that the Earth formed without oxygen in the atmosphere. Only after the emergence of plants did the atmosphere acquire oxygen.

Jerry