Difference between interior design and architecture?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Stella, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Stella

Stella New Seed

Ok..Can anyone answer me this?
    Here it goes,
    what is the difference between interior design and architecture?

Are they the same thing?..
    Thanks~
    ;)

2. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I would think not the same at all, interior design, is decorating, wt's, floor coverings, furniture etc. either by you or a professional,architecture, was done by the builder, and in our case with our help, as to changes, such as walls, bridges/arches, columns,ceilings, interior fixed glass etc. etc.

3. HeatherM

HeatherM New Seed

Interior Design vs Architecture

Interior design and architecture are different, however both professionals work together to get the final product.
    Interior Designers like architects are usually licensed (depending on your state's jurisdiction) to practice. Interior decorators are different from interior designers. NCIDQ (ncidq.org) differentiates the professions in this way:
    Interior design is the art and science of understanding people's behavior to create functional spaces within a building. Decoration is the furnishing or adorning of a space with fashionable or beautiful things. In short, interior designers may decorate, but decorators do not design.
    Interior designers and architects both go to school to learn about health and public safety for the buildings they are creating.
    Architects stamp their drawings and partake in the planning of new buildings and renovating old buildings. They are most concerned that everything will be stable and flow nicely. Often the architect and interior designer work together to ensure proper flow and be sure that all ADA, fire codes and standards are met.

4. Stella

Stella New Seed

Thanks..
    I get it

5. oli

oli New Seed

Design criteria include harmony of colour, texture, lighting, scale, and proportion. Designing is creating or constructing new objects or spaces. Design of a building or structure involves several steps, including visualization and development of the overall concept.

If anyone is thinking of interior design, please go to architecture school first. I honestly think if you have a natural talent, an architecture program with even an associate degree in interior design would equip you to be a super architect