digging up gladiolas

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by petunia, Sep 28, 2008.

1. petunia

petunia Young Pine

We planted glads late this year, but two have only managed to bloom. To clean the garden out, I'm needing now to dig up my glads. I don't think they'll be any more to flower. The question is--after digging them up, Do I cut them down, if so how far down do they get cut? Then should I just put them in a brown paper bag and put them in a cool place? Seeking any advice you can give me on digging up glads.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. tbryant2
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Glads are like all other bulbs, they need the leaves to gather sunlight to make energy for next years blooms. The more leaf and the longer it stays on will help assure more blooms next year. If you really have to dig them up now, say before your ground freezes, then put them in a pot in a sunny location for as long as possible then move them inside.

They don't require chilling in order to bloom the way Tulips do so a garage or greenhouse area should be fine for winter storage.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Petunia I've never dug mine and I'm in zone 6. I dug them one year, thinking I was doing a good thing and they molded :rolleyes: I figure if they come back good, if they don't they will just rot and add to the soil ;) I'm kind of a lazy gardener.
    Deanna
    :-D

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I leave them too of couse I'm in Texas.I may move them and replant them after the frost and they die back but thats all.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I dig mine up here too Petunia. I don't find they need any special treatment, but I do leave the foliage on until they are brown (or until spring sometimes). I dig mine up and store them in a milk crate in a cool, dry, darkish place making sure to shake any soil off.

7. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

In zone 4 I have to dig up my glad and dahlia bulbs. I cut them down to right above the bulbs. Dry them for a few days on some newspaper and then put them away some where cool and dark. Not too cold though they will rot. I have a box with a screen bottom and top and put the bulbs in the basement where it is about 50 degrees all the time.

8. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I never dig mine up and have been lucky enough to have beautiful blooms for a few years now. Ooops, having said that I have probably put the mockers on them and they will rot over winter!!!

9. Mr_Crocosmia

Mr_Crocosmia New Seed Plants Contributor

I never dig mine up either..... they come up year after year!!
    I also have Papilio which is a species Glad and that is veryyyyyyyyyy hardy..... it would probably be ok outside in zone 5.

10. Public Designs

Public Designs Seedling

I have quite a few glads out and I have never had to dig them up. I have some regular sized ones and some miniature. They have come back for the most part every year. I have more trouble with wind knocking my big ones down than anything.