Digging up & replanting

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by tbryant2, Apr 23, 2008.

1. tbryant2

tbryant2 New Seed

I'm going to attempt to dig these up tomorrow and put them in a more suitable spot. They're just scattered all over the yard and coming up everywhere out in the middle of the lawn. I assume they are also some kind of lily.

I've never tried this before and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me before I start. Do I need to replant them the same day or could they wait a day or two? Do you think they will be difficult to get out of the ground. Honestly I'm not sure how many I'll attempt to dig up if it's too difficult. I'm not kidding, there are hundreds out there. The photo is just a tiny patch. What were these people thinking?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry Theresa but I can't see your photograph so don't know how hard they will be to dig up and transplant. :(

4. tbryant2

tbryant2 New Seed

Well, they've been mown down more than once so they're really nothing more than stubs about an inch or two tall sticking up out of the ground. I just included the photo mostly to show how abundant they are. :D

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If they're lilies Theresa then it all depends on how deep they were planted and how long they've been in the ground. I had a tough time with some bulbs that I wanted to transplant when I first moved here. They were so deep I thought I'd never get them out of the soil. Good luck with yours. :stew1: They should transplant OK as long as you don't damage the bulb.