Do you decorate for each season?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Ronni, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I have a good friend who has an entire portion of her kitchen cabinets designated for seasonal decorations. It's a good thing she has a huge kitchen and lots of cabinet space! Most of the folks I know decorate for or around Christmas time or Hannukah, as the two most common celebrations around that time of the year. But this one friend will put out decorations for everything else too.....she has specific decorations for Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall, Easter, Halloween, Valentine's Day, Memorial Day and Labor Day, and of course Christmas. Have I missed anything? Probably, because it seems she has decorations for everything anyone could possibly celebrate! And not just one or two, either. She has a wreath or other decoration for the front door, ornamental touches throughout the house....guest towels in the powder room, something displayed on the coffee table, other bits and pieces. And her kitchen table is always adorned with appropriate candle holders, color matching candles, place mats, and table decoration of some kind, and then various things around the kitchen.

I would find it exhausting to go that all-out, not to mention I just don't have the space to store all that stuff. I have two bins for my seasonal stuff (not counting Christmas, I DO go-all out decorating at Christmas) one bin for the outside stuff, and one for the inside stuff.

I change the little welcome flag that's stuck in the ground by my front door. I have a fall wreath and a Christmas wreath, then the rest of the year it's just a "welcome to Grandma's house" thing that hangs on the door. I also have a lighted pumpkin that I put out near Halloween so that the kids on the street know they can come trick or treating at my house. I have a straw man that I also prop up by the front door in the garden.

Inside, I usually hang whatever seasonal stuff on the windows. Right now it's some pretty fall leaves, and they're on the mantel too. I usually change the towels that hang on my oven door to reflect the season or celebration, and there are other, minor touches around the house just here and there. Other than that, I save my all-out decorating for Christmas, which is my favorite time of the year!

I haven't put my pumpkin out yet, that won't be till a week before Halloween.

I'd love to see some photos of the things you do too. Or at least a description! :D

The windows sit on each side of the fireplace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sliding door to the deck is off the kitchen and where the kitchen table sits. It's really nice to sit at the table and be able to see our backyard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just put up my fall wreath, placed the straw man and hung my fall flag yesterday.

[​IMG]

Please share your photos too!

2. Loading...

3. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Having a cleaning business. One long time customer I just got down putting theirs up-8 boxes full. Took long time to put summer things away. Christmas 100 boxes. But I like doing it. Dh and I did real tree for them. Last 2 days-2 naughty cats got in it.

4. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

DW decorates for each season and most holidays. I stay out of the way. :rolleyes:

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sadly the only decorating Ian and I are doing at the moment is wallpapering and painting the spare bedroom. We'll have it all finished for Christmas though so we'll decorate for then.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have fall decorations and Christmas decorations that I do the whole house. For other holidays it's just one or two things that match the holiday. We don't have storage for each one.

dooley

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My main seasonal decoration is my welcome sign(s).

[​IMG]
    Fall Welcome Sign ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Winter Welcome Sign ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Patriotic Welcome Sign ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Easter/Spring Welcome Sign ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Other than that... I try to make sure that Treacle The Bear is all set to welcome guests with a seasonal bouquet. All I could find right off hand was him at Christmas. I guess I'd better take some more of his photos throughout the year.

[​IMG]
    Treacle Claus ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Then I usually put some decorations on the front porch's corner stand. Couldn't find any photos of that either. That'll be my mission over the next couple of days.
    Then indoors it's usually just a couple of my mom's old trinkets/doo-dads sat here and there. That's really about it.
    Except for Christmas... I do put out a few more things throughout the house.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

nope, not a stitch for any holiday except the garland for the mantle at Christmas time. I am pretty boring. Once it is up it may not come down until Spring.

9. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I use to do all that. Not anymore, got to old and lazy.

Jewell likes this.
  10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Cheryl, I LOVE that welcome sign! Did you buy it with all the various attachments? I've looked for something like that off and on, a wreath or other hangy thingy for the door on which I could just swap out different attachments. I haven't found anything I like. I tried to do something with my Grandma sign that hangs on the door most of the year........

[​IMG]

but couldn't ever figure out how to attach things to it that didn't just look completely hokey! :( I do however put Christmas bows around these iron geese that sit by the front door! :D

[​IMG]

But man! I REALLY want a Treacle The Bear! What a wonderful find. Where did you get him?

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Ronni... I found that welcome sign probably 10 years ago in some mail order catalog... and yes.. it came with the 4 different seasons. I bought one for myself (which have since rusted away). This is the one I got for Mom. Sis-in-law still uses her's. I think the one I got for my best friend also rusted (or she got tired of it). :D
    I'm always looking for other's like it.
    I got Treacle years ago when I lived in New Mexico. A guy was making them (with a chainsaw) on the side of the road. I had to have him! He's holding up pretty well for being nearly 20 years old.

12. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Not any more only wreaths for Fall/T-day on my front doors but then for Christmas we go all out!! the outside for others to enjoy the inside just for us to enjoy!

13. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

If I could afford decorations, I would decorate! I wouldn't go so far as to have em for every single darn holiday on the calendar, but Id have Spring, summer, Autumn/Halloween and Winter/Christmas :) I do have -some- winter decor, mostly bought at Garden Ridge when it goes to 90% off haha

14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I used to decorate more for holidays and seasons but ran out of storage room and places to put things out to show so I have a couple of simple decorations for seasonal ...
    Old Doors - New Use

And these plaques I made from pieces of scrap wood I found in the back room a few years ago, they hang on the front door. Sometimes the Winter one stays on much longer than the season because it's my favorite.
    [​IMG]
    Autumn ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Winter ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Spring ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Summer ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Wow, Toni, I love those plaques!

And the old kitchen cabinet doors that you linked? Wonderful! Just amazing. Did you ever do what you said in that thread, and paint the insides of your kitchen cabinets? If you did, I for one would LOVE to see the result. :)

16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Decorate for the seasons? I'm lucky if I dust for the seasons!
    Crafty I ain't, but I sure admire those who are.

Kiasmum likes this.