Do you enjoy watching gardening programmes?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Nov 15, 2006.

?

Do you enjoy watching gardening programmes?

1. Yes, very much so

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, they annoy me

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Sometimes, depends on the subject matter

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Do you enjoy watching the current offering of gardening programmes on TV at present? Which type do you prefer, the back to basics type (simple advice) or the showy type (elaborate garden designs).

I have always enjoyed the Alan Titchmarsh (UK) programmes for instance but always found the Diarmuid Gavin (Ireland) programmmes to be pretentious and not very enjoyable to watch. I mean who needs all those elaborate, non-functional pieces in their garden anyway.

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and MIKE ALLEN like this.
  2. Loading...

3. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Sharon and I enjoy "The Victory Gsrden" on PBS it is about as basic as it gets.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When our PBS station deems it important to show Victory Garden, I really enjoy it.
    Before it went to cable only(we don't have cable), I really enjoyed Rebecca's Garden, I got the idea for my upside down stacked flower pot bird bath from her program. The only one I can find shown locally is P.Allen Smith gardening.....he doesn't do the basics, he creates garden rooms and very formal looks in gardens, not my style.

5. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

I like the HGTV landscape programs. But the pond building ones are so off, I think they are just staged for the show. And that makes me wonder if the rest of it is as well. Who, me, cynical?

Advertisement
  6. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

I agree P.Allen is very knowledgable but his garden ideas are beyond my means

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I love to watch any garden show .I watch any I find .I learn all kinds of different things on them.

8. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I watch and tape any garden show I come across. I very much like P. Allen. I am an equal opportunity garden idea thief. 8)

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I don't have cable either, so I'm lucky to find a gardening show on! I do like Victory Garden.

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I watch Alan Titchmarsh whenever he's on but sadly he seems to do very few gardening programmes these days. The one gardening series I really can't stand is the Beechgrove garden.

11. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hubby and I always enjoy watching Paul James,
    he's got a goofy/fun style, but keeps it "real" IMHO.

12. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I don't know too many names of the shows I happen to catch, but I love any I can catch on the BBC. I lived for years just getting one, semilocal station, so happy I can get BBC now! Seems like they are SO much more practical and not so over-the-top as the American decorating & gardening shows.

13. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I agree with you about the ponds. It drives me nuts, especially when they throw the pond together in a day, then throw fish in it the same day. They always make it appear so easy....

14. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Hey, pianolady, welcome back!!! Great to see you. Actually it is possible to put a pond together in one day and throw fish it it assuming you add dechlor to the water. It's the shoddy way they build the ponds that bugs me. All that liner showing, everything just thrown together so you know it won't last a week.

15. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Do you, I enjoy watching TV gardening programmes?

Apologies for the late reply. Internet must be running a bit slow;););););)

I have only just found this thread.

So! No I don't enjoy gardening programmes. To attend a lecture or to give instruction, YES.

IMO. Usually the whole thing becomes a joke. Perhaps joke one. Alan Titchmarsh. OK he's got a Kew diploma. He's also got the gift of the gab. In many TV appearances, I have seen A.T leaning on a rake or hoe and waffling on. Say no more.

Then in general. A new boy/girl arrives on the block. Perhaps they have a good financial background. They like plants, so the BBC or whoever make them a star.

I really did feel sorry for Sarah Raven. She appeared on Gardeners World. Her task was to repair a lawn. Her tools included.......a pitch fork. I do hope she gave the producer a good thumping. Now. Sarah, thanks much to Daddy is owner of a very productive garden center.

IMo. Those selected to play the star roles, always prance about and play to the camera. Be honest. YOU in your garden large or small. Do you play-act?

Then there is or are the plants. Pop down to the local garden center and lash out.

I find a very big problem with TV and broadcasting. Programmes are not organised and directed by professional gardeners/horticulturist.

16. harrylee

harrylee Seedling

I prefer YouTube. You can search the gardening subject you want.

Logan likes this.