Do you filter your water for daily use?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by KK Ng, Mar 22, 2014.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I recently posted some questions about whole house water filter or what the water filter people call "Point Of Entry" POE filtration system.

In my old place we use a simple under the sink type of water filter like this.

[​IMG]
    Water Filter ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

This filter only remove sediments up to 5 microns as claimed. Since we have totally new plumbing done for the whole house including the piping we thought that it would be best to install a whole house water filter so that we can enjoy cleaner water and to extend the life spend of the plumbing. The municipal water quality here is deteriorating.

So if you have a water filter in your house I would like to hear about it.

2. Loading...

3. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

We use the same one as you show but also added a filter on top at faucet, and we have a filter on ice maker & water dispenser on frig.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have an under the sink filter for the icemaker/water dispenser on the fridge and a separate small faucet on the kitchen sink for filtered water that I seldom use but none of the other water usage is filtered. We have a really good city water supply that has been rated Superior so I really don't worry about every day use.

5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

KK, your system sounds good! We live in the mountains and have a spring...no filtration needed.

Advertisement
  6. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

If you use POE then all water will be filtered including lawn and garden, toilets and laundry. The operational cost would higher then if you could change your plumbing into zones and filter only the water that needs filtering. The installation cost would be higher but the smaller filter and maintenance thereof would be less over time.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We are on a regional water supplier which uses ground water that is high in arsenic. We filter our drinking and cooking water through a filter in the refrigerator, and our hens drink rainwater which we harvest.
    When we replace the faucet in the kitchen, we plan to get an under the sink filter.

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We have none. I live on the side of a mountain with springs all over it. Have had my water tested and it's very good.

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks SusieQ07, we used to have a water filter for the sink where we use the water for cooking and drinking, we boil our water. One for the washing machine so that it will not clog up and two for the water tank which is mainly for the bathrooms.

Thanks Toni, I am really glad that you have good clean superior water.

Bunkie, I am so jealous.

Jbest123, I am aware of that but according to the POE water filter man, he mentioned that the filtration media only need to be backwash once a fortnight and change once in 5 years. The installation cost is free or included in the sale price of the POE Filter. In my old place the filtration was zones and before I know it the whole house water supply was filtered with individual or combine unit because of the very poor quality of municipal water.
    Thanks for your input, I'll have a tap before the POE filter for the garden and general cleaning.

Thanks Marlingardener, our water is not only arsenic, it has lots of sediments and murky at least 2~3 times a month. With the POE filter we'll be installing an additional activated carbon filter for drinking and cooking water ... I wonder why we have to pay for polluted water.

Barb I wish I can connect our water supply pipe to yours, the freshness of spring water.

Thank you all for your input.