do you fumigate your greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by petals, Jul 16, 2011.

1. petals

petals Seedling

I would be interested in any replies as I would like to do this but am unsure of the best way, thank you in advance

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't mainly because it is attached to my house and there is an open window between the two. and as i have not had any need to, I haven't done so. my others are unattached but don't need it either, at this point. Sorry this probably isn't very helpful for what you are looking for. What would you be fumigating for, also? insects, molds, or as a disinfectant? as a disinfectant most of the products are quaternium based and I am highly allergic so that would not be possible for me.

4. petals

petals Seedling

The main reason I want to fumigate is for bugs etc. This spring something ate lots of my seedlings

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

did you overwinter some of your plants or was your greenhouse empty when you started your plants. If you overwinter some of your ornamentals, I would suggest using a systemic insecticide on them when you bring them in for the winter. A good scrubbing with soap and water might also do you a world of good. soap is an excellent bug killer as long as you get it on the insects. My leanto greenhouse is made of Lexan and I can scrub the plastic and the floor is pavers so it is a hard surface also, so if yours is similar you could try these ideas to see if it would help.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi Petals,

I do not fumigate my greenhouse. I remove all the glass and store it away safely.
    Last year I did disinfect it because I had some sort of bacterio-fungal insult to some plants in there.
    I always completely dig-out the soil in there and replace it each year, so I almost never have any sort of insect problems emanating from the soil.

I hope that you can get a handle on what is giving you grief in your greenhouse.