Do you really need a license to be an interior designer?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by BuilderOne, Jun 19, 2009.

1. BuilderOne

BuilderOne New Seed

Came across this article today, and it seems like a good issue to think about, should interior designing be regulated?

Rogue Interior Designers Get Their Day

Susan Roberts and Cynthia Hernandez claim they've never hurt anybody — even if the state considers them outlaws.

Their offense? Calling themselves "interior designers" without having taken a test to earn that right.

More: http://www.newhavenindependent.org/arch ... _lawye.php

2. Loading...

3. JaneyLacey

JaneyLacey New Seed

This is a really interesting topic. I've just started studying at International School of Colour and Design (ISCD) in Sydney part time so that I can sell my design services.

I've chosen to study and have learnt so much in the first 6 months, yet before I started my study, I really did think I knew everything there was to know. (If you get what I mean). For me personally, it's a competitive market - some people are industry trained and other go to college. In some ways regulation is a good idea as customers then know what they are getting and receive a quality service. I'm going to bring this up to my lecturer this week.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If I ever thought of employing an interior designer I'd want to see, at least, some qualification certificates. I certainly wouldn't let someone loose in my home, or with my money, if they hadn't got proof that they had undergone intensive training before advertising their services.

5. DealHuntingDiva

DealHuntingDiva New Seed

I agree you should be licensed to be an interior designer. What many people outside the industry do not realize is an interior designer does more than pick out wallpaper and carpet. That's the easy part, The hard part is knowing building and fire codes, construction, and how to read a blueprint. Interior designers know most of which an architect knows, and must be trained in drafting as well. I should know- I went to school for it!