Do you use Keyboard Shortcuts?

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Frank, Aug 1, 2007.

?

Do you use Keyboard Shortcuts?

1. Yes, can't live without them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I'm a mouse-only person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I like puppies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Does anyone use keyboard shortcuts to get around Windows / Mac OS quicker? I've lost count of how many I use but they are invaluable to me.

A very simple example of a keyboard shortcut is using the Windows key + F key together to call up the Windows search function instead of going to Start -> Search using your mouse. Here are some more useful ones for Windows:

- Windows key + E key = Windows Explorer
    - Hold Left Alt key + press Tab key numerous times to cycle though all of your open applications (this has probably saved me days of time in total)
    - Left Alt key and F4 key to close currently open application
    - Windows key + L key = Lock your computer (enter user password to continue using again)
    - F1 key - Windows help

I also couldn't do without the keyboard shortcuts in Firefox. Here are a few I use:

- Hold Left Ctrl key + press Tab key numerous times to cycle though all of your tabs
    - Left Ctrl key + H key to show your browsing history
    - Left Ctrl key + B key to show your bookmarks
    - Left Ctrl key + D key to bookmark a page
    - Left Ctrl key + F5 to close current tab

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are keyboard shortcuts available for virtually every application. In fact if my mouse broke tomorrow I think I could live without it for a while :)

So does anyone else use keyboard shortcuts? If so please add them to the list.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. kate
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. sewNsow
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Chitweed

Chitweed In Flower

I don't use many...but I tried all yours and it would be great to have more.
    I actually had to think..."Windows Key?"...duh, the key with the windows emblem.
    I guess I would have to say 'I'm a mouse' until now...but Frank, I also like puppies...

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm normally a mouse only person.

My right hand is already on the mouse while my left hand is either holding my coffee cup or my chin. Why disturb my left hand to use the keys when the mouse is already active? :rolleyes:

You do have my interest peeked in the one for browing history tho. I know that Randy will swear up and down that he showed me that shortcut and maybe he did, but I didn't have a use for it then but now I could use it, so I probably didn't pay attention to him. :-D

5. StevePM

StevePM New Seed

Here's one of my favorite keyboard shortcut:

ALT + Spacebar and then press M. Now, using the arrow keys, you can move the current Window. This comes in handy if you accidentally drag a window out of reach of the mouse.

Advertisement
  6. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

When using my word processor (Word Perfect), I use the keyboard almost exclusively even for things the mouse would do but for just navigating around the OS (Windows XP) it's just the opposite... But this almost exclusive use of the mouse has caused me some concern because I'm aware that the failure of the mouse would leave me 'dead-in-the-water'; so my interest is also *piqued* by this topic..
    Hank

7. beddecor

beddecor New Seed

CTRL + P to print current page

P.O.

8. LindaF

LindaF New Seed

CTRL C to copy
    CTRL X to cute
    CTRL V to paste

and the Windows E

Those I can't live without.

9. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Well, I'll give all these a try but I like puppies best.

10. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Uusally the only one I use is Ctrl+N, which opens a new browser window :) Or Ctrl+F, which opens a Find box on the screen. Very useful when youre trying to find a single word on a whole page of em o_O

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That reminds me, here are 3 more REALLY useful keyboard shortcuts in Firefox

- Ctrl + T opens a new tab
    - Ctrl + L moves the cursor to the address bar so you can instantly start typing in a new address
    - Ctrl + K moves the cursor to the search box so you can perform search engine searches with speed