Does anyone else have Golden Rain Trees?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by AAnightowl, Aug 14, 2011.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I got some of those "free" tree seedlings from Arbor Day Foundation this year, and they included a Golden Rain tree or two, the other trees given died, or were DOA. I was just reading on Dave's Garden that they can be quite invasive in the south. I am in southern MO, zone 6. Is that far enough north for them not to be invasive?

I have plenty of other invasive trees, and do not want any others to pull up constantly. I won't be ordering any more of their trees, there are better places to buy trees from.

The leaves on this alleged Golden Rain tree look more like my rose of sharon bushes, which I have tons of. I barely watered it this summer as I planted it on the far side of my driveway. It is doing fine though, which is one thing others mentioned.

Does anyone on here have this kind of tree. On Dave's Garden, they also mentioned hordes of bugs coming along with the trees. Eeeekkk... I am tempted to yank it out of the ground now before it gets too firmly established.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic
    moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes I am aware of the Golden Rain Tree (also sometimes called the Golden Shower Tree). It is very common over here in Karachi, it's golden color really blazes from early June to early August.

Anyway, the tree is very though. And somewhat fast growing too. But it being invasive is not the case (I think). Or maybe, my weather is such that nothing gets germinated without help (due to the heat). It does however attract ants, as I have seen them nest around this tree.

But it is a most beautiful tree, one that is well worth keeping - As nothing looks that good in Summer!

I just took this picture of this tree in my neighborhood for you. Had I taken a picture of it just a few weeks ago, than the whole tree would have been a bright golden color (with hardly any green showing).

[​IMG]
    Golden Rain Tree ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

S-H, sorry I did not get back to you sooner. Things have been a bit busy here.

The golden rain tree looks so lovely in pictures. I have mimosa trees here, they were here when I moved here, and the mimosas are very invasive too. I pull those seedlings up by the dozens; also silver maples, and my rose of sharon bushes. I love them, but boy do they make a lot of babies, and my yard is full of them. If anyone wants some babies of those, send me a pm, and we can arrange something.

The seedlings that are supposed to be golden rain trees actually look more like my tree rose of sharon babies, so we will see what they really are. I know what I planted was labeled 'golden rain tree'. Maybe the nursery people made an error, maybe they just look similar?

I loved your pictures of them. :stew1: