Does anyone know where I can get cherry pits in bulk?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Cayuga Morning, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I need ~75-90 pounds. On the web, most retailers are selling 6 pounds for $45. Outside my budget.

Daniel W, AAnightowl and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

.....CM, I feel like the kid in class waiting for someone else to put up their hand and ask a question because they don't want to look silly .....but I can't stand it :) What are the cherry pits for my friend? Very curious. :)

4. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Ooo, who are you planning on killing? :eek: :D

Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I cannot imagine either. So, what do you do except plant LOTS of cherry trees?

I have some in my freezer, but it is less than 1 lb (and likely much less than that), and I hope to start them over the winter. They are from the sweet bing cherries in the grocery store. I don't know if they will grow, and if they will grow true or not.

I do have a few pie cherry trees here, but those are tart cherries and smaller than the bing cherries.

I have no idea where I will plant those seedlings if they do grow.

I also have about a dozen peach pits in the freezer waiting to get planted. (and I forgot to keep the pits from my dwarf peach and another old peach tree separate, but they probably cross polinated anyway. oops.)

Right now, I also have 2 avocado pits that I am trying to decide whether to keep them or toss them, because I have no greenhouse to overwinter them in and they do not like the cold.

Advertisement
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Pacnorwest and Cayuga Morning like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Thanks Daniel. I'll check it out. I thought the Stew works be the place to ask this question.

I'm planning on making 50 microwaveable heating bags for women with cancer who attend a retreat. The bags are great for sore backs, necks etc. after chemo. Or the bags can be put in the freezer & used as a cold pack.

I could use long grain rice instead. The cherry bags smell like cherry pie for the first 10 or so uses. I'm not sure how the rice bags smell. Anyone know?

Pacnorwest, Daniel W and Melody Mc. like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I have no idea Cayuga Morning....but I am still caught up in the misty eyes and goose bumps of your never ending thoughtful kindness to these ladies. Giant never ending hugs for you. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:......

I have made my bean bags for family from wheat. But...they are a wee bit smelly if overheated. I'm sure rice would smell better than that as long as not overheated.
    Cherry pits and the smell of pie sound wonderful. You have quite the heart you have.

Perhaps if you contacted fruit processing factories with your purpose....??

I wish you well on this and would love to know what you find you.

Sjoerd, Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

@Daniel W I called that store in the link you provided. They do sell cherry pits, quite affordably, but unfortunately don't ship. I live in MA....Maryland is a bit far. BUT, we hope to take a car tour, seeing friends& family on our way to FL this Feb. Maybe I could stop by and pick up a few bags. The advantage of cherry pits is that they can be washed. So you can just throw the bag in the sink when it needs a little attention.

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Good on you Cayuga :)

I wouldn't use rice as Daughter #1 managed to set fire to a rice bag one after heating it up one time too many in the microwave :eek: