Does my greenhouse need a bottom?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by fish_4_all, Apr 13, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

[​IMG]

That is my greenhouse/whatever you want to call it. It has worked extremely well but I have not put my tomatoes in there yet nor any other vegetables. It is not completed per say. I have not wrapped the bottom with plastic yet which is just below the bottom of the picture and I was wondering if I need to before I put my tomatoes in there to protect them?

I was thinking about putting a wooden bottom on it but I am thinking the wood would not last long getting soo wet all the time. It wouldn't be down very far if I put a wooden bottom on either so maybe it is best to just wrap the rest in plastic?

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

You have the best idea with those metal racks !! Wood warps and rots !!! I would continue the way you are doing now !!! And they can be taken and stored when not in use !! Wood also attracts insects which you don`t need around your young plants !!

4. gardentoad

gardentoad Seedling

Does it get any direct sun? If it does I would leave some open space in the bottom and an opening in the top for air circulation or your plants may get cooked.
    Cool air tends to stay low unless warm air is rising out the top to draw it up.

5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

i agree with gardentoad, and will add that if it gets cold t night, you can always cover it with a sheet or blanket.

6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Hmm, the entire bottom is open so there should be plenty of circulation. I may have to put a coulpe of holes at the top for airflow though to prevent powdery mildew. I did almost cook 2 cabbages yesterday but they recovered nicely when I took them out. It does get direct sunlight for the full day when the sun comes out here.